Eco-Friendly Family

carseat in aircraft- question

The carseat manual says this:

- Aircraft Use
? Follow the seat belt installation for use in an
Aircraft.
? Consult your airline for requirements to use this restraint.

So does that mean I can use it and I just install it how the airline wants me to?  Or how it would be in a car? 

Sorry if this is stupid. We're trying to figure this out- we're flying (4 of us) but bought 3 tickets. We'll have a PnP, 2 carseats, and 3 bags of clothes, plus a diaper bag and a kid sized backpack with books and stuff in it.  How could we avoid paying for checked luggage?  Could we gate check the PnP and carseats?

Lovin' Life: M+D 7/06, T 1/08, B 5/10
Getting back to it- my diet and exercise blog
Losing it...Without Losing it

Re: carseat in aircraft- question

• Depending on the airline you might be able to gate check a couple of baby items without paying extra.

Look on the car seat for something that says FAA approved. My car seat has a little sticker on the bottom. As far as installing it how the airline wants that generally means it has to be forward facing unless it's a bucket seat / infant carrier. I haven't seen a convertible small enough to fit RF on an air plane unless it's in first class.

• If you don't need the car seat on the plane most places check them for free.  I don't know about the PnP
  • Loading the player...
  • Duplicate and silly nest wouldn't let me delete.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • imageGenevieved:
    If you don't need the car seat on the plane most places check them for free.  I don't know about the PnP

My car seat fits RF without the added height headrest - It's the First Years True Fit, and I've taken it on multiple Southwest flights. 

I think the rules depend on the specific airline as far as what checks for free etc. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I find it easier to beg and borrow at my destination end rather than take it with me. PNPs can be picked up on Craigslist for cheap. On a longer term trip, i"ve even picked up an exersaucer at goodwill at my destination and then donated it before I left.

As for the carseats. I find it more headache than it's worth as a carryon. I did it once when my twins were still rearfacing and I was berated by a flight attendant for trying to install it rear facing. Apparently you can't do that. How was I supposed to know? Like you said, there's not really instructions. We tried using the flight harnesses on our last flight. Equally a disaster. my little ones were too short and the buckle was hitting their neck. The kids completely flipped out and I can't blame them. I would have been better off just letting them sit without anything. Sounds horrible but I won't ever do it again. It's not worth it.

Check the luggage policy but they are usually pretty lenient with not charging you for baby gear.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've always heard carseats were free but PnPs counted as a normal checked luggage item.  I've never taken a PnP though since we just c-slep when C was younger and we borrowed a PnP at our destination last time I flew.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We installed our Combi Coccoro RF on a plane, but on another plane it wouldn't fit that way. We never had trouble with the flight attendants about it. I would install it however you want/however it fits unless the flight attendants tell you otherwise. Also, be prepared that the car seat has to go in a window seat; my understanding is that they don't want anyone to have to get out around the installed car seat in the event of an emergency/evacuation.

I'm not sure where you'll be staying, but most hotels have PnPs/cribs, or if you're staying with friends/family, perhaps they can borrow one from another friend for your stay. I haven't ever lugged a PnP through an airport, and I hope not to have to! I think this is one spot you may be able to figure out a way to lessen the load.

We had a couple nylon straps around the house (a sporting-goods store should carry them) that we used to strap the car seat to the rolling suitcase carry-on to get it through the airport. For the carseat you don't plan to use on the plane, most airlines with check it free of charge or you can gate-check it. Although it would be easier getting through the airport if you check it at the counter, the baggage handlers can be rough on things, and you don't want to compromise the carseat's safety, so I think it's worth it to carry it to the gate (also less likely to get lost if you gate-check it). I highly recommend getting some sort of cover/bag for it; even if you gate-check it, it can get pretty dirty. The bag we used was definitely dirty, and I wouldn't want that dirt on the car seat!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"