Babies: 0 - 3 Months

if you BF AND FF

What's your schedule?  Do you mix for each feeding, alternate, etc?

Also, how is LOs digestion? We just started adding formula because he wasn't gaining enough weight. My supply was low, but i'm working on it.  He's happier since we started adding formula, but I think he may have belly pains. His poops are different (which I guess is normal) but they are just as frequent, so I don't think he's constipated.  I'm wondering if it's maybe the type of formula or just that we're mixing? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: if you BF AND FF

• I pump and supplement with formula.  DD gets 4 breastmilk bottles during the day and 2 formula bottles overnight.

His poop is different because of the formula.  All FF babies have different poop than EBF babies.  It doesn't matter what type of formula you use - it will still be different poop. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My DD eats 6 times a day. At most feedings, we begin with her being breastfed and finish with the bottle of formula.

Sometimes DH will start giving her the bottle first if, say, I'm in the middle of something (like showering, for example) and it's time for her to eat.

We had to go through several formulas before we found the right one for her (Enfamil Nutramigen).

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Loading the player...
  • my LO wasn't gaining enough weight, either so we had to start supplementing with formula. I mix half breast milk and half formula at each feeding.  she eats about every 2-2 1/2 hours during the day and she goes to bed around 10 every night and sleeps until about 5 or 6 depending on how busy the day before was.
  • Right now we're BFing all day and overnight - the only formula bottle is right before her long stretch of sleep and I pump.  LO is another baby who's not gaining well - actually dropped from the 40th to 20th percentile - so we're hoping that the one serving of formula will help her bulk up a bit.  During the day she feeds about every 2.5-3 hours, she'll sleep from 10:30pm-5:30am, go back down for a couple of hours, and then we start our day around 8:30 with another feeding.  We usually get in 7 feedings per day.
  • My little guy wasn't gaining enough (I'm working on a low supply) I breastfeed and then offer a bottle of breastmilk or formula depending on how much I was able to pump during the day.  If he is still hungry/ fussy after the bottle we go back to the breast.  He doesn't always need a bottle after he breastfeeds.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • i had a lot of supply issues in the beginning so on top of nursing to bring in my supply i was pumping and mixing bottles half formula, half bm. i stopped doing that once he would leave half a bottle sometimes and then i had to waste the bottle (and the hard earned breastmilk!) and dump it. thats when i started alternating- i ebm, 1 formula. bc with bm, even if they dont finish the bottle you can put it back in the fridge and use it within 24 hours. with formula you have to dump the bottle if they dont finish it within an hour.
  • BLM10BLM10 member
    right now we have no set schedule, but i go back to work in a week so we are working on one. DS gets 4 formula bottles a day since he doesn't gain weight well. the plan is formula for early morning feeding, 2 BM bottles and 2 F bottles while i am at work, then nurse for evening feedings. i don't plan to mix F and BM since i have to keep track of precisely how many calories he gets daily from formula and if he doesn't finish a bottle i can't do that.
  • I do both because he wasnt gaining well with just breastmilk. I actually give him the formula first b/c he has a tendency to fall asleep on my boob. He gets both at every feeding.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"