3rd Trimester

Stomach pains vs. contractions?

Hey all. I started having Braxton Hicks a couple of weeks ago, but they are still pretty irregular and doc only said to worry if I have 6 or more an hour.

This morning I woke up from a full night's sleep just feeling kind of off. I was beyond fatigued and started having some pains in my stomach. It felt different than the Braxton Hicks- almost like I had eaten something unsettling. I was worried it was contractions and I was going into labor, since it felt different than the Braxton Hicks. I got very nervous! I couldn't really count, because the pain didnt stop and start again- it was a pain that lasted probably over 20 minutes.

I had every intention of calling the doc, but I laid down to ease the pain, and ended up falling asleep for a couple of hours. I woke up and now I feel completely fine. Any thoughts?????????

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Stomach pains vs. contractions?

• maybe it was just gas/stomach pains?  contractions are definitely a start/stop thing.  they also come in waves where they start out slow, get really strong and then ease up.  i would call your Dr though if it happens again or gets worse.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thats what I was thinking. I have this weird fear I wont be able to tell what a contraction feels like!!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I know what you mean!  I was having weird, stomach crampy feelings a few weeks ago and didn't think much of it but when I mentioned it to my doc she got all concerned and checked my cervix and told me to start paying closer attention to them.  She said if I count more than 4 in an hour then I should head to L&D.  I'm just still confused if they really are contractions or not since this is my first.  Any insight from moms out there that have already had a baby?  Are contractions pretty obvious?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry if this TMI from a lurker...

Three weeks ago  I thought I was simply suffering from bad diarrhea cramps but they were the worst cramps I've ever felt (and I have a sensitive stomach and as a teen had awful menstrual cramps). I ended up calling my OB and going into L&D. Turns out diarrhea is a pre-term labor sign and I was having some pretty strong contractions. Some of the smaller contractions didn't feel like much to me but were still showing up as contractions. The strongest ones were way painful (I was grabbing on to the bed they were so bad).  I'd say at this point you should call your doc if you're in doubt.

Sept. 2010: IVF #1= BFP; May 2012: FET #1= blighted ovum, D&C; FET #2= ?? Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think contractions feel at all like stomach pains...more like lower intestinal pains or diarrhea cramps. Actually, to me they feel exactly like menstrual cramps, in varying degrees of intensity. I don't know if it's normal, but labor contractions only hurt me very low in my pelvis, like period cramps. They never hurt higher up around my stomach.
  • im so glad you posted this because i have been wondering the same thing!! this morning i woke up with cramps that literaly took my breath away and made me double over... although mine did come in waves, my stomache never tightened up (that i could tell) and they were more in the middle of my tummy, not lower like i would expect contractions to be and felt more like severe sharp gas pains or something. Well... called my doctor and went to L&D just to rule out contractions... and what do ya know.. i was indeed contracting! im not sure if they were just stomache pains that caused contractions? or if that is what my contractions feel like but just goes to show that everyone is different and its always best to get it checked out if you arent for sure!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"