Northern California Babies
Options

"Genderless Baby" mom speaks out

Re: "Genderless Baby" mom speaks out

• Options
    EmmieBEmmieB member
    interesting. still too radical for me, but I respect her integrity.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    CelynCelyn member
    A well articulated defense, but I still think it's a social experiment.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing! Personally I love that they're not sharing their baby's sex. I think there is far too much importance placed on what sex a baby is.
  • Options

imageMadameD517:
    Thanks for sharing! Personally I love that they're not sharing their baby's sex. I think there is far too much importance placed on what sex a baby is.

I feel better about it now after reading her response than I did two days ago. Also, talking to my sister who has studied psychology much more than I, Including studies about how people treat babies and children differently based on their sex...without even knowing they are doing it. 

The only problem that I have in this situation is that 5 year old Jazz has expressed discomfort with people mistaking him for a girl. My response, if Jazz was my  child would be to let him know why (his hair style is traditionally a girl hairstyle). I tend to wonder if he even knows WHY people mistake him for a girl, KWIM?

Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Options
    EmmieBEmmieB member
    imageKellyMRocks:

imageMadameD517:

I feel better about it now after reading her response than I did two days ago. Also, talking to my sister who has studied psychology much more than I, Including studies about how people treat babies and children differently based on their sex...without even knowing they are doing it. 

The only problem that I have in this situation is that 5 year old Jazz has expressed discomfort with people mistaking him for a girl. My response, if Jazz was my  child would be to let him know why (his hair style is traditionally a girl hairstyle). I tend to wonder if he even knows WHY people mistake him for a girl, KWIM?

I had an issue with that, too.

• Options
    imageKellyMRocks:

imageMadameD517:

I totally missed that part, I would wonder also. I hope his parents  discuss that with him.
  • Options

imageCelyn:

Agreed. 

• Options

It's interesting. She writes well and explains her point of view very well. It's not something I would ever be impartial enough to do, but I think she has some good points. We do judge people based on their sex and both sexes traditionally suffer for that. A boy who wants to dance ballet? A girl who wants to climb trees? A man who wants to be a kindergarten teacher? A woman who wants to be a CEO? I think all of these are judged to be taking on an opposite gender role, really unnecessarily. If my mother had been a boy growing up when she did she would have been a civil engineer, rather than a math teacher. You know what I mean? What ARE the possibilities for someone who is not taught to be limited by gender roles? Are we ready to think that way? As Ghandi says "don't confuse that which is habit, with that which is natural".

I can't imagine being that committed, I have caved on so many things I wanted for my DD, no TV until 2 (hah!), No characters (Dora is a household word), no junky food (now she eats things I used to ban from our home), no plastic toys (we throw some out but not all), I really admire people that are able to buck the norms and keep out the conventions that may or may not be useful to their childrens' lives, including a lot of the families on the board. 

• Options
    imageCelyn:
    I agree and I also think it's unrealistic. Sure in a perfect world it wouldn't matter, but we don't live in a perfect world and by going so far against the grain you subject your children to a lot of heartache.
  • Options

imagemythreesons03:
    imageCelyn:
    I agree and I also think it's unrealistic. Sure in a perfect world it wouldn't matter, but we don't live in a perfect world and by going so far against the grain you subject your children to a lot of heartache.

I totally agree and will go out on my own and say I think sometimes its ok to treat boys and girls differently. Like I want Tony to open doors for me...

Or an example from my kids...a kid was yelling at JLK in the park (not mean he was actually trying to play dinosaur with her) Jonathan was not a fan and got in the boys (who was about 3 yrs older than him) face and yelled and got him to "back off". I was happy with that. And even later JLK told Daddy what happened and we told them both that was good of Jonathan to look after his sister like that.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"