Two Under 2
Options

Advice on taking the binky away

DD was completely attached to her binky as a baby. She had colic and reflux and its the only thing that would soothe her and allow us to rest. We took it away awhile ago during the day and she only has it now at nap time and bed time. I know its time to take it away completely, but I don't know how I should do it. I'm sure it will be a nightmare regardless. We are also moving at the end of June and I'm wondering if I should do it now or wait until after we've been in the house a month or so.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Advice on taking the binky away

• Options

I think taking away a binky is actually harder on the parents than it is on the kid.  Here are two stories about taking away a binky.

I had a roommate with a 3-year old that still took a binky.  We carpooled to work and one day we were late because he pitched the biggest fit over his binky.  She felt guilty about taking it away during the divorce.  I got home and told him I threw them all away that he was a big boy and didn't need them.  He cried for 10 minutes and then went about his business.

My best friend took her step-sons binky away too.  He was 3 and 1/2.  She told him that the binky fairy came and collected all the binky tips for the new babies.  She had cut the tips off the night before.  She showed him the binky's and he grabbed one to suck on.  He put it in his mouth tried to suck and spit it out.  Never asked for it again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Im in the same boat. DS is almost exactly the same age as your DD. He takes it at nap and bed only (since he was 8 months). I really don't see an issue with it as it falls at of his mouth while he sleeps. BUT societal pressure is there....no one ever sees him with it, but I know it will have to go by 3 I guess. Right now we are dealing with nightmares, so the pacis help him...I dont want to get rid of them now.

I cut two a while back, and he said "paci broke!" then stuck it in his mouth and sucked on it fine. He had no issues with it being cut. I know I could've kept cutting them, but I was just passively seeing if it would be that easy to get rid of them. He is a stubborn kid, so I think when he can understand it more and know that he is a big boy, then we'll do it. 

To me its a comfort item, I like that he has something that will soothe him while in his crib since he is afraid of the dark too....if you figure out something that works then let me know! ;) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We went cold turkey by accident.  They gradually took them away at day care.  A few weeks ago, his teacher told me that he had been napping without it for about a month.  We had pretty much cut back to naps at home and bed time, or maybe if he was out of sorts somewhere we would give it to him.  Well, two night ago, we couldn't find any in the house.  So he went to bed without it.  Same thing last night.  I realized we had two in my car, and asked my husband his thoughts.  We just decided to leave it be - he is sleeping peacfully now.  He still has his fleece blanket to rub on, so he does have a comfort object.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"