Toddlers: 24 Months+

Those with kids (or siblings) with a 3-3.5 year age difference...

Do they interact well with each other?

We took my DS to play with my niece this weekend-she's just about to turn 5 and DS is almost 1 1/2. It was a nightmare. She whined the whole entire time, and DS kept trying to play with her, she got annoyed because he couldnt play the types of things she could, and it was just a disaster. DS plays with other kids within 2 years of him and it seems to go a lot better.

Does this get better when they're older, or is this kind of the norm with interactions among kids 3+ years apart? If it gets better, around what age?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Those with kids (or siblings) with a 3-3.5 year age difference...

• My kids are almost 3 years apart.  They play well together for the most part.  I think it is hard for the older one to learn that they must share with the little one, even if it is not 100% fair. As I tell DD, Do you really want to listen to him cry for 10 minutes so you can keep that "insert toy" when you know he will be done with it in 3 minutes?   She mostly gets it.  It is not always fair, but she gets to do a lot of things he doesn't.  I have only had problems with one child who used to come over and play who was an only child with DS wanting to play with them and she wanted to exclude him, but generally DD's friends are fine with DS and nice to him, get that he is small and has to be included/accommodated or they will have to listen to him.   I have a 6 year old only child over now playing, and she is great with him. 
  • I hope they play well together becuase mine will be 3.5 years apart.  DS plays very well with my 6 year old nephew which was why I thought the 3 year age difference was ideal.  They actually started playing well together when they were 1 and 4 and as they get older they get closer and closer and play better together.  I truly believe this has more to do with personalitiies than age though.
  • Loading the player...
  • My kids are 3yrs apart and play really well together. DS has some SPD and behavior issues so it can be challenging at times. For the most part though they play just fine.
    imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
  • Wally3Wally3 member
    I want to vist my friend with a 6 year old with DS 2.5 and another friend her 2.5 DS.  THe older boy was amazing with the 2 little ones helping us chase them, getting things for us.  I was nervous about having my kids 3.5 to 4 years apart and that weekend changed my mind.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"