3rd Trimester

Breastfeeding/Pumping question

Ok, so I have been planning on breastfeeding even before I was pregnant. I never thought about this until the other day, but maybe some mamma's who have done this before or someone who has asked before can help me! When do you pump when you are already feeding every few hours anyhow? I am in school and planning on going back (it's 2 days a week a couple hours a night) a few weeks after having her. My concern is that I will need a reserve for those times I'm in class, but not sure when I should pump when I'm already feeding. Any advice?

Re: Breastfeeding/Pumping question

• Bored and lurking...

I had to pump because I was going to school.  To get my supply up, I always pumped after every feed at first. I wouldn't get much at all but it was something. When my supply started to regulate, the best time for me to pump was first thing in the morning. He would only nurse on one side at each feeding, so I would pump the one he didn't feed on. 

Good luck at school! It is hard, but you can do it!! :D  

Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • anj0409anj0409 member
    Did you only pump in the morning at that point or did you pump after each feeding? I don't know why I didn't think to just pump the opposite side! ha! I must be starting to get more nervous than I thought I was! :) Good tips though! I will be done with school in October, so I am very excited I only have a little bit left! I just hope I can maintain a breastfeeding schedule with her with going to school, that's my biggest worry!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd also recommend pumping the opposite side from where DB is eating. Just get a handpump...I really like the Ameda One-Hand Pump it gets some good suction going and the motion used to extract the milk is not as exhausting as the Medela or Isis Pump was...IMHO...

In the beginning you'll have so much milk anyhow - so may as well not let it go to waste!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Its true you can pump the side DC doesn't eat from but in the beginning DC will probably take both sides until your supply comes in good.  Don't stress over it if your only gone for a few hours a couple days a week you will be fine.  Spend your first few weeks getting in the swing of breastfeeding and then worry about the pumping.  The breastfeeding board is very helpful when your ready, or once you get settled with DC you may discover whats best for you two very easily.
  • imageanj0409:
    Did you only pump in the morning at that point or did you pump after each feeding? I don't know why I didn't think to just pump the opposite side! ha! I must be starting to get more nervous than I thought I was! :) Good tips though! I will be done with school in October, so I am very excited I only have a little bit left! I just hope I can maintain a breastfeeding schedule with her with going to school, that's my biggest worry!

I only pumped in the morning after my supply was up and I built a decent stash.

I had two semester to go after Mathieu was born. I just graduated a month ago. To be completely honest with you, it was really hard. The keeping up with the breastfeeding part was easy, it was just focusing on school. I was also under a lot of stress from other things though. You can do it! Just keep your eyes on the prize!! :D

Mind if I ask what you are going to school for? 

Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • in the BF class I just took, they recommend waiting until 3 weeks to start pumping if you can, and then pump after each feeding in the beginning and then get into the habit of pumping 3 times a day. Get some freezing bags and remember, once defrosted, milk is only good for 24h
  • KarBearKarBear member

I started pumping day 1 due to latch issues, and for the first week, I could only stay 1 feeding ahead of DD.  Once she did latch, like the pp said, the best time to pump was immediately after a feeding.  Luckily, they don't need too much milk right away...just frequently.

After a while, you'll start to get into a routine.  If you LO is a good sleeper, you can pump right before bed and it will give you a few hours before the next feeding.  If not, yes, you will have the most milk in the mornings, but it's usually not the heavy, fatty milk.

Good luck.  Pumping definitely takes commitment, but I did it for a year while I traveled for work, so it's doable.

• anj0409anj0409 member
    imagekdm06c:

imageanj0409:

I only pumped in the morning after my supply was up and I built a decent stash.

I had two semester to go after Mathieu was born. I just graduated a month ago. To be completely honest with you, it was really hard. The keeping up with the breastfeeding part was easy, it was just focusing on school. I was also under a lot of stress from other things though. You can do it! Just keep your eyes on the prize!! :D

Mind if I ask what you are going to school for? 

Thanks! It's really nice to hear the encouragement! :) And trust me, I completely get what you mean by other stresses also! I am going to school for Massage Therapy! Congratulations on graduating! Way to go! What did you go for?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"