Stay at Home Moms

New SAHM :)

Hi everyone! I will be handing my resignation letter in to my boss tomorrow which I am super excited about. I just wanted to say hello! Also, DH is the one who really wanted me to be a SAHM, but he thinks I'm going to be bored at home. I tried telling him that I think I will be exhausted at the end of every day after looking after a newborn... but I am just curious for any of you new SAHM's, what does your day usually consist of with a newborn? I know feedings every couple of hours and he'll most likely be napping for the first few weeks, but what do you do to keep busy? DH and I usually prefer to go out to eat but will be cutting back once LO is born since I will be quitting my job, so I'm going to try to start making dinner as much as I can which will be interesting ;) Our house isn't very large so I don't think I could spend a whole day cleaning... just curious what takes up everyone's days for those first few weeks after birth!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New SAHM :)

• Congrats and welcome!  :)

Honestly, the first few months are a complete blur and you're in survival mode. You will be feeding baby nonstop (moreso if you're nursing) since although feedings are every 2 hours, they sometimes take 40+ minutes to finish so you only really get an hour off before starting all over again. You'll be sleeping erratically, and your house will most likely look like a tornado hit it. With the first, it's a huge adjustment. You will be tired, uncomfortable, and annoyed at times.

Honestly, I did think the first year of being at home (albeit with a 17 hour a week part time job) was pretty dull. I didnt have a difficult chid, and there wasnt a lot we could really do. It was nice that I could do what I wanted when I wanted since he napped in the carseat, but I like it a lot more now with a toddler. The first year was a lot of TV while baby napped. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the response! I currently work 40 hours a week at a desk job so I know it'll be quite a change. A lot of family/friends are SAHM's too so I'm excited to at least be able to do stuff with them, but I was just wondering how much time I'd actually spend bumming around haha. I guess we'll see when LO gets here!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am a new mom to a beautiful 6 week old son and I am definitely still in survival mode. I try to plan something every day but he still eats every 2-3 hours around the clock so everything revolves around his feeding schedule. Plus the lack of sleep makes it really difficult to get motivated. Some days I barely have a chance to eat. But it is an incredible journey and I love staying home with him!

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm a SAHM of a now 8 month old. I also worked full-time at a desk job before i quit to stay at home and i love staying at home raising my own child. I don't think the first couple of months are difficult as far as taking care of your child, but it will just depend on how "needy" your baby is. My daughter was very content and not very demanding so i had plenty of time to do the things i needed to do. However, the first couple of weeks will be recovery, feedings, changings, and trying to get some sleep. They do fly by though so cherish them! I of course had to adjust and it was a bit difficult at first because you aren't talking with adults all day so that was hard for me, but over time you find things to do and places to go. I'm sure you'll do great and you made the right choice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"