Northern California Babies
Options

Sad story about nursing in bed

This was shared on the July 2011 board.

I co-slept with DS and nursed in bed all the time.  Just a reminder to nursing moms to be safe, I know I'll be thinking about this when (hopefully) nursing my DS # 2 soon.

https://www.rgj.com/article/20110528/NEWS/105280349/Local-infant-deaths-linked-co-sleeping-breast-feeding?odyssey=mod|mostview

Re: Sad story about nursing in bed

• Options
    so so sad.  and scary, especially to me - a mom who nursed in bed all the time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Previously posted as "denisethebride"
  • Options
    How devestating. I personally think cases like this are rare but it is a good reminder to be safe while bedsharing or nursing laying down.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

So sad!

ETA: stupid bump posted before I was done.

I nursed in bed, and co-slept with both girls, but it was always nerve wracking for me.  Although sleep was constanly nerve wracking for me, I can't tell you how many times I woke Dan up frantic because the baby wasn't moving/breathing etc...only for him to pick up the baby and have her wake up.  UGH, the constant fear was intense.  I think you can safely co-sleep and safely nurse in bed, but you have to be really concious of your surroundings.

• Options

It is so sad. I was so desperately terrified DS was going to die in those early months.  I was exhausted and I fully did NOT trust myself not to kill him with my giant boobs.  The article mentioned waking up the dad to give a bottle and I just want to shake them -- as if that is the answer. Parents can fall asleep giving a bottle just as easily as nursing.  DH snored and slept so soundly then that even my yelling at him didn't wake him.  And for that reason I didn't let DH and DS bedshare for a long long time. I kept DS in the co-sleeper on my side and eventually kicked DH out of bed with us for a while since he could not be counted on to wake up.

The story left me with so many questions though.  Like why the mom with the fragile baby (after 27 days in the NICU) immediately blames herself for his death.  And why that county has lost so many infants in such a short time. :(  Ugh. 

• Options
    imagefutrkingsley:

The story left me with so many questions though.  Like why the mom with the fragile baby (after 27 days in the NICU) immediately blames herself for his death.  And why that county has lost so many infants in such a short time. :(  Ugh. 

I have the same questions. I wonder if the baby might have died in it's sleep, even if it had been in a crib? And I also question the number of deaths in one county in such a short amount of time. Also if any of the mom's used sleep aides or anything. I know not everyone is the same, but for me personally, I am always hyper aware of where my co-sleeping baby is. I don't think I am ever fully asleep, especially not in the first few months. 

Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Options

I was terrifed to sleep with DD. I love the closeness but it was too scary for me. This is so sad but I also think it is not terribly common although co-sleeping deaths definitely exceed SIDS deaths now. I don't know the exact statistics overall.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jsugrinjsugrin member

Oh that just made me bawlCrying.

That so could have been us.  I had some major nursing/milk issues Andrew's first 3 weeks and he seriously was eating 12-14 times between 6pm and 6am and I was consistenly falling asleep, it was impossible not to.  I couldn't side nurse, because my boobs are way small, until he was closer to months but all the time I'd wake up to him crying because he was starving and he was all propped up on the boppy at my waist.

Kudos to her for being so open and honest about their loss.  Especially as a NICU nurse it must be incredibly difficult to open yourself up to the community like that.

• Options
    It could of easily been me too, even though I was a paranoid first time mom, it's so hard the first few months when you are exhausted from the constant wake ups.
  • Options
    How incredibly sad. Thank you for sharing, since I was considering co-sleeping.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKellyMRocks:
    imagefutrkingsley:

I have the same questions. I wonder if the baby might have died in it's sleep, even if it had been in a crib? And I also question the number of deaths in one county in such a short amount of time. Also if any of the mom's used sleep aides or anything. I know not everyone is the same, but for me personally, I am always hyper aware of where my co-sleeping baby is. I don't think I am ever fully asleep, especially not in the first few months. 

I had the same question. I mean I think any Mom will blame herself and if the baby dies of SIDS in the crib they will always wonder could it have been different had the baby been in bed with them. Just so incredibly sad and scary. I co-slept with both but was certainly more tired with the 2nd one...Scares me for the 3rd one...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

Ok so also confused. Is side lying better than sleeping sitting up with baby on the breast??

Honestly I did both. I didnt mean to fall asleep sitting up with JOnathan but I did so I figured might as well lay down.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"