Washington Babies
Options

Seattle area moms of boys: Did you/will you have your DS circumcised?

So I have heard fewer boys in the area are getting circumcised, and we are leaning toward having DS circumcised, but are many boys in Washington still being circumcised?

What do you think of circumcision in general?  For it or against it?

[Poll]

Re: Seattle area moms of boys: Did you/will you have your DS circumcised?

• Options
    My ped said it's about 50/50 in this area.  I'm not "for" or "against" it... we did get our boys circ'd.  I don't think it's a big deal either way.  I let DH decide.
  • Options
    We didn't have him circumcised. I felt it was unnecessary and H agreed with me. I don't agree or disagree with it. If it's what you want to do go for it.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    In researching it, we found the info to be roughly even pro and con.  So...like all big parenting decisions, we flipped a coin LOL - it was heads.  He's being circumsized.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My boys are not. Had my DH not had strong opinions on the matter I probably would have done it automatically, because thats what I know.
  • Options

imageSeattle_JiLLn:
    My ped said it's about 50/50 in this area.  I'm not "for" or "against" it... we did get our boys circ'd.  I don't think it's a big deal either way.  I let DH decide.

This exactly. I really don't get the debate that goes with this topic.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLauraLynneC:
    In researching it, we found the info to be roughly even pro and con.  So...like all big parenting decisions, we flipped a coin LOL - it was heads.  He's being circumsized.  :)
    Am I the only immature one giggling about the coin being heads regarding this subject? Hee-hee.
  • Options
    ckmommyckmommy member
    imageskenyon:
    My boys are not. Had my DH not had strong opinions on the matter I probably would have done it automatically, because thats what I know.
    This for me too, except I only have one. I did the research, talked to his Dr, etc, and I was comfortable going with my H's wishes. I did get flack from my mom and she wasn't happy, but I told her it was our choice not hers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageDoylesa:
    imageLauraLynneC:
    Am I the only immature one giggling about the coin being heads regarding this subject? Hee-hee.

I didn't pick up on it, but now since you point it out - I'm also immature. ;)

I was leaning towards getting DS circ'd because I've never seen an uncirc'd one. And the one male friend I have that I knew was uncirc'd told me how much he hated it (he actually got it taken care of a few years back and is much happier). I pretty much asked DH what he thought and he was very much into getting it done, so we did.  

SEAHAWKS! And... Macklemore. Seattle's WINNING! 
  • Options
    I was glad #1 was a girl so we didn't have to make the decision. Both DH and I did A LOT of research when we found out #2 was a boy. DH even talked to a friend of his that was circumcised in high school to get his personal opinion. In the end, we didn't find that the research clearly stacked up on one side. In fact, it seemed fairly evenly split. So, we decided not to do it. If DS wants to do it when he is older, we will support it and pay for it. I want him to be able to make his own decision about it.
  • Options
    We did for purely aestethic reasons - but I found the experience rather traumatic (and i watch surgery channel for fun). Looking back I don't think I would again, which surprised me.
  • Options
    imageDoylesa:
    imageLauraLynneC:
    Ahaha!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic EDD: September 22, 2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We (obviously) don't have a boy yet, but since boys seem to run in DH's family, we seriously discussed and researched circumcision.   DH is circ'ed, and while we know there is a lot of research out there showing that there are a lot of pros to being uncirc'ed, we also have THREE male friends who had to have it done around upper elementary/middle school age due to medical issues (and not because they were unhygienic!).  They said it was so traumatic and awful.  That alone makes us lean towards having it done.  However, we may change our minds if/when that time rolls around someday in the distant future.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageLauraLynneC:
    we flipped a coin LOL - it was heads.  He's being circumsized.  :)

HA!! 

• Options
    DS is not, DH is. In many other countries, the norm is to not to do it except for religious reasons, and my OB said in the Seattle area it's about 60 % not/40 circ. Like others have said, I think there are valid reasons to do it and valid reasons not to do it, I would never say that one choice is the right one for everyone.
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • Options

I let DH decide... though the more I researched, the less I liked it.  DH is circ'ed, and decided to go for it.  Then the doctor came in for us to sign the consent forms, explained that DS would feel pain and that there was no medical reason to do the surgery, and he just wanted us to be informed before making the decision.  I saw DH look at his son and his face crumble, and I told him we could take more time to make a decision.  He decided against it then and there.  It was one of the moments I was most proud of him.  

I think it is a very personal decision... I am just happy that the trend is moving away from it so that we no longer have to base our decision on "I don't want him to look different in the locker room," but instead on personal values, tradition, religion, and research.  

I'm going to make an AWESOME big brother.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

imageSeattle_JiLLn:
    My ped said it's about 50/50 in this area. 

Ours, too.  DS will be circ'd.  DH and I discussed it and agreed we wanted it done.  It breaks my heart a little bit, now that DS is here, and I think of him being in pain for a little while.  However, we both feel that it's what we want for him in the long run.  DH is circ'd, as are all men/boys on both sides of the family (incl my 3 nephews, albeit they're Jewish) and we didn't really even debate about it.

Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • Options
    I also just want to say I'm proud that we can have a rational thread about this topic.  On my due date board, this was a very loaded topic.

• Options

imageMrsH_08:
    I also just want to say I'm proud that we can have a rational thread about this topic.  On my due date board, this was a very loaded topic.

It was on mine as well. There were several times that it went several pages of someone telling someone else they were an irresponsible parent for not having their son circumcised. 

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    Both of my boys are, as is dh.  We read info and talked about it with both ped and my ob (who is the one who did it).   They were both done at the hospital, on the morning of discharge.  Some doctors seem to do it at the 1 mo appt, which would harder i think.  At a day old neither of them cried after the initial procedure but at 1 month old i think the reaction would be alot worse. 
  • Options
    I let DH make the decision. He said that if we have a son, he wants him to be circumcised and I respect that decision. If he had said he didn't want to do it, I'd respect that too.
    photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If we had a boy we would have done it. DH is and wants his boy (theoretically) to be as well.
  • Options

imagecmcmillan:
    Both of my boys are, as is dh.  We read info and talked about it with both ped and my ob (who is the one who did it).   They were both done at the hospital, on the morning of discharge.  Some doctors seem to do it at the 1 mo appt, which would harder i think.  At a day old neither of them cried after the initial procedure but at 1 month old i think the reaction would be alot worse. 

Yep, we did them before they came home too.  I made DH go.  I couldn't do it.  Even Cooper did it before we left the NICU and it was one of the neonatologists who did it.  So I felt like he knew what would and wouldn't be OK for a preemie and he did it.  

• Options

If we have a DS initially DH had wanted it done, because he is. No real other reason. That didn't fly with me as a good reason to circumsize. I have done some research and while by no means would I label myself an intactivist I also feel strongly opposed- for my child, not anyone else's- to performing elective cosmetic surgery. There is no real medical benefit from all I've read. If he wants to do it later I will fully support that choice. Same with getting DD's ears pierced- I want it to be her choice as to what she wants to do with her body when she is old enough to decide.

imageZista:

I think it is a very personal decision... I am just happy that the trend is moving away from it so that we no longer have to base our decision on "I don't want him to look different in the locker room," but instead on personal values, tradition, religion, and research.  

ITA.

image Visit The Nest!

• Options

We didn't get Coop done. I must say here in Australia it is very rare for it to be done & I was shocked at how high the number of boys that do get done in Washgington is.

But it really didn't bother me whether we got it done or not. I left the decison up to my DH. He wasn't done nor was any of his male family members so we followed family tradition!

collage Cooper Flynn is 3 years old and growing! May 10,2009 Miscarriage April 2008 Ectopic pregnancy August 2011
  • Options

our 1st child was a girl, so we didnt have to think about, then our 2nd child was a boy and we talked about before he was born ,DH is circumcised so he was fine with our son being circumcised, DS had his done when he was about 7 days old in our pedi office, however we are in Eastern WA so if we were in Western WA we probably would have had it done at the hospital (just didn't have the option here )

• Options

imageSeattle_JiLLn:

100% agree here.  We didn't have a strong arguement against, so we went ahead and did it.  We will circ all future boys now as well. 

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • Options
    ckmommyckmommy member
    imageCiaram22:

imageMrsH_08:

It was on mine as well. There were several times that it went several pages of someone telling someone else they were an irresponsible parent for not having their son circumcised. 

I third this. When I was on the tri boards it was a huge debate that constantly went out of control. It is a personal choice, the end.
  • Options
    *EDIT* I think if we had done it at the hospital before discharge, it would have been A LOT easier. In our case they would not do it right after birth since he lost 12% of his weight in 2 days and they wanted him to focus on eating. I had to weigh him every day and call in the #'s etc. We returned to do it in the midwife's office when he was about 2.5 weeks old.
  • Options

I let DH decide.  DH was 18 months old when he had it done and he says he remembers it.  DH decided he wanted his son done, so we had our pedi do it.  My OB was set to do it in the hospital but I didn't like how rough he was with me so I said no to him doing it and had our pedi do it a few days later.

• Options

I also let DH decide but we were both for having it done.  I found out that the hospital offered a less evasive (?) way of having it done and asked for that.  Ryan didn't make a sound and we never had any issues with it.

To each their own, every parent makes the best decision for their family... we shouldn't judge... for the most part ;)

• Options
    imagepixelvixen:

I also let DH decide but we were both for having it done.  I found out that the hospital offered a less evasive (?) way of having it done and asked for that.  Ryan didn't make a sound and we never had any issues with it.

To each their own, every parent makes the best decision for their family... we shouldn't judge... for the most part ;)

This.  My OB did it, but used a less evasive treatment and he didn't make a peep.

• Options

DH and I discussed this before we even started TTC, as well as many other things. I knew that since he already had a child, that he would have certain "ways" of doing things, and I wanted to make sure my opinions were heard. Also, that we could come to common ground on things. One of the first things he has asked me was if we would "alter" or not. That topic was one that never came to mind, not sure why! I was more concerned with breastfeeding, sleep arrangements, etc. 

I felt totally and completely comfortable allowing DH to decide. I know the pro's and con's of both, from my own research, but in the end, I am not the one with the penis! (can we say pen!s on here?) DH is circumcised, and felt that the baby, if a boy should be as well. 

We ended up not having to dwell on it too much, as this baby is a girl!

In the future, if there are any baby boys, I will let DH decide. (Although he is convinced that he only makes girls. Haha)

image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecmcmillan:

Didn't you deliver at Providence?  My paperwork stated that they do not do them in hospital ("not medically necessary"), but also Ped's do not visit babies at the hospital, either.  They have their pediatric hospitalists who do the baby checks while in hospital.  DH and I would have definitely opted for having James circ'd in the hospital before leaving, but it wasn't an option.  We'll be discussing timing at tomorrow's Ped appt.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"