Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Dentist Question

I am scheduled to go to the dentist this afternoon  to have my teeth cleaned, and they called to say I needed a note from my OB since I am 34 weeks pregnant. Is there a problem with getting my teeth cleaned? Obviously I won't be allowing them to do any x-rays or dental work, just a cleaning. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dentist Question

• Options
    Hmm that's interesting. I went for a cleaning last time around 20 something weeks and am going again this Thursday and they said it was totally fine just usually more painful because your gums swell more
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Hmm....I don't know about the not being able to go without a note, but you guys are making me really nervous for my dentist appt. tomorrow. 
    7 mm/c
    APS, hetero factor v leiden & MTHFR
    bfp #1 - 12.11.07, edd 8.14.08, mm/c 1.21.08 (10w4d)
    bfp #2 - 4.4.08, edd 12.3.08, mm/c 5.14.08 (11w)
    bfp #3 - 8.3.08, edd 4.15.09, mm/c 9.17.08 (10w)
    bfp #4 - 1.15.09, edd 9.26.09, mm/c 2.16.09 (8w2d)
    bfp #5 - 6.16.09, edd 2.25.10, mm/c 7.23.09 (9w)
    bfp #6 - 8.12.10, edd 4.27.11, mm/c 9.16.10 (8w1d)
    one more try -> bfp #7 - 2.11, our miracle baby boy arrived 10.11
    ttc again -> bfp #8 - 5.3.13, edd 1.13.14, mm/c 5.30.13 (7w3d)
    bfp #9 - 9.23.13, our miracle baby girl arrived 5.29.14

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hmmmm that's interesting...

I went a couple of weeks ago at around 20 weeks and even got some x-rays (my OB and dentist both said that a few - they did 4 - are fine as long as you're wearing the shield over your tummy). I asked my OB a head of time just because I was curious, but my dentist didn't ask for a note or anything.

Must be either your office's policy and/or something to do with how far along you are. Did you ask them why they wanted one?

* PAL/PgAL Bumpie & NBC-Twi Nestie * imageBloggity Blog BFP #1 in 2001 ? natural m/c @ 9w4d ? TTC our first since 2009 ? BFP #2 on 8/25/2010 ? natural M/C @ 7w6d on 9/25/2010 Clomid cycle #1 @ 50mg = BFP #3 on 1/1/11 ~ EDD 9/14/2011!!! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    A note? Umm i have never asked my patients for a note. I'd tell them you know your pregnant and don't need a note to prove it. Ya that is really unnecessary I have never heard of such a thing. No x rays is the only protocol UNLESS you have a problem.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This is so ridiculous. I called them back because my doctor's assistant still hasn't called back and I can't get in touch with them to fax over a note. I had to cancel my apt. now because I am supposed to be there in an hour and I don't have the note yet. I asked why they needed a note just for me to have my teeth cleaned, and the lady said "just to make sure everything is okay with your pregnancy". What the hell does being pregnant have to do with getting your teeth cleaned other than the fact that your gums are more sensitive?! Now I have to reschedule for later this month when I will be 37 weeks...ugh. I just wanted to get it done before LO arrives because I know it will be a pain to get out of the house for a dentist apt. once he is here. They actually cleaned my teeth when I was pregnant with the twins and I told them I was pregnant so they didn't do xrays, and they had no problem then with me being pregnant. I told her that and she just said, "Oh, I don't know". Grrrrr.....off to find a new dentist office since I never liked that one anyways. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Weird! Besides x-rays, teeth cleaning should be harmless. I've even read in some pregnancy books that a teeth clean is recommended during pregnancy to prevent infection.

Sorry you're dealing with this! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"