Breastfeeding

Talk to me about flange size....

I'm confused...I have a hospital rental pump and the LC recommended the 30mm flange size. My nipples became very raw after pumping for a few days so she said to go up to the 36. I've looked at the Medela website and now think I need a smaller size because the larger ones are pulling areola into the tube.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Talk to me about flange size....

• Make sure it is areola going into the tube and not the base of your nipple swelling to fill the tube. Mine were swelling while pumping and the sides of my nips were rubbing, causing pain. I immediately went out and bought bigger ones when I couldn't stand it anymore, which helped. I've also read from others on here that you can call medela and they will send you the correct sizes free of charge.

Your pumping kit purchased in the hospital (your original, personal parts for the Symphony) come standard with the 24mm...did you get them? Try those out...

Another tip - go back for an inhouse visit with the LC due to the sore nips. My insurance covered it, and anything the LC gave me - nipple shield, finger-feeding kit - was then covered by insurance. Maybe the shields will be too? Call and check...

Caitlin 4.17.11     Madeline 10.20.13

• Thanks! The LC swapped the 24mm for the 30mm so I don't have them to try. I've had 2 consultations with her already and when I was at the moms group today, I asked her and she told me to either try the larger ones or book another consult. Frankly, I don't want to spend another $100 on a consult for her to take a couple of minutes looking at my nipples.

My nipple definitely swells but my nip was not rubbing into the tube...my pain is all at the base of my areola and also at the bottom of my breast. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"