Babies: 0 - 3 Months

what is your night time routine?

I need help!!!! LO and I are fine during the day.  We do an eat, play, sleep routine -- well, actually it is more like an eat, play, eat. sleep routine and DD eats every 2 hours.  I get anxious about nights.  Sometimes she wakes every hour - two hours in the night.  I am so exihausted, I would love to get 3 to 4 hours of sleep without her waking.  For those of you with a LO around the same age as mine who are accomplishing this -- what are you doing?  Maybe you can share your routine with me.  TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: what is your night time routine?

• We have yet to get a real routine together, but we have found that our little guy will sleep better if we soothe/rock him before putting him down.  Also, we swaddle him and he falls asleep with a paci.  (We use Happiest Baby techniques when he gets fussy.) Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KCKappaKCKappa member

I would recommend reading No Cry Sleep Solution for info on nighttime sleep routines - but I would also say at 3 weeks old sleeping only an hour or two at night before needing to eat again is really normal and it's possible your baby CAN'T go any longer than that at this point. You just have to be patient. Violet was sleeping about that long at that age, but by 5 weeks old she was sleeping 2 to 3 hours at a time, now at 7 weeks old she's sleeping 3 to 4 hours at a time. I have tried both swaddling and not swaddling her just to see if it makes any difference - and it doesn't for her, but for some people that's one way to help them sleep a bit longer.

• Loading the player...
  • We have a pattern of eat, diaper change, eat (he falls asleep eating, so the diaper change wakes him back up enough to finish eating).  When we are at a feeding that is around 9-10pm, we plan for bed.  For us, that is putting him in his sleep sack with swaddle after the diaper change and then he falls mostly asleep finishing eating.  Then we just rock him until we're sure he's out before we put him down.

We have gone without the swaddle component of his sleepsack and found he was sleeping 2 hours or less at a time.  With the swaddling, he sleeps almost 4 hours at a time.

Good luck!

Missed m/c 11.09 | Missed m/c 3.10 | We miss you & love you so.
    ~ ~ ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Formerly toddandjulie
  • At 3 weeks she was still eating about every 2-3 hours.  At 4 weeks we started a night time routine of bath, sleep clothes, rock/bottle.  We also put her to bed with a noise maker (womb noises).  All of this combined helped her learn night time vs day time.  At 6 weeks she started sleeping 5 hours at night before needing another bottle.  Over the next 4 weeks she started sleeping a little longer at night.  Last week she started sleeping 8 hours, needs a bottle, and then sleeps another 2-3 hours before I either wake her for day care or wakes on her own.  If she is napping and it hits 8:30 at night I wake her and do the night time routine.  If this happens, she is usually up for an hour before going back to bed.  Also, if I am unable to do the night time routine she does not sleep as well.  For my child, the night time routine has worked wonders.  For some kids it does not.  But it is worth a shot.  

Oh, and we stopped using the noise maker at 10 weeks. 

Good luck, and as every one says it gets better.  But it is up to the child as to when that is because every child is different. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • thanks for the tips everyone.  i will try them tonight
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"