3rd Trimester

very sunburt - and it hurts

we were out in the sun yesterday all day. and unfortunately, i got sunburnt on my legs, arms, shoulders, feet & back. not just sunburn, the pink stuff that's almost purple. i've been rubbing aloe on constantly. is it ok to take tylenol every 4-6 hours (like the back of the bottle says) as i need it? i took one at 6 am, and felt really sore around 2pm and took another. i don't like to take medicine regularly, but i'm just really sore. do you think i need to call my ob? ugh...way to kick off summer :( it's even so sore i can't walk right. i can't wait to go home & take all my clothes off!!!

Re: very sunburt - and it hurts

• kjg5445kjg5445 member

you need to be more careful being in the sun. sunblock is your friend. Having sun poisoning while pregnant is frowned upon.

Tylenol is fine to take. lube up with Aloe and take it easy. ouch.

• imagekjg5445:

you need to be more careful being in the sun. sunblock is your friend. Having sun poisoning while pregnant is frowned upon.

i feel horrible. and i should of known my skin may be different in the sun while being prego.
    how do i know if i have sun poisoning?
  • Loading the player...
  • kjg5445kjg5445 member
    imagenillian10:
    imagekjg5445:

i feel horrible. and i should of known my skin may be different in the sun while being prego.

i cant even imagine :(

heres the webMD website for sun poisoning. I'd probably stay out of the sun for a while til your fully healed. Poor thing!!!

https://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/sun-poisoning

• Born and raised in Florida, I know all about how bad BAD sunburns feel!  I honestly would put a call in to your Dr. just to be safe!  I know people that have been admitted to the hospital for bad sunburns (sunburns that literally feel like you are black and blue all over) Also, ask him if you can use the green bottle of Solarcaine (I usually get it at Walgreens, CVS, but I think it's available anywhere!) It works WONDERS on really bad sunburns.  It literally numbs your skin, but again, I am not sure if it is safe during pregnancy so I would ask!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekjg5445:
    imagenillian10:
    imagekjg5445:

heres the webMD website for sun poisoning. I'd probably stay out of the sun for a while til your fully healed. Poor thing!!!

thank you. i hate to sound like a baby cuz i take pain pretty well, but i can't even be outside without long pants & long shirt on - it hurts when the sun hits it. Poor DS won't be outside playing with mama for a couple days.
    imageimage" mce_src="image">

• kjg5445kjg5445 member
    imagenillian10:
    imagekjg5445:
    imagenillian10:
    imagekjg5445:

thank you. i hate to sound like a baby cuz i take pain pretty well, but i can't even be outside without long pants & long shirt on - it hurts when the sun hits it. Poor DS won't be outside playing with mama for a couple days.
    imageimage" mce_src="image">

i dont even have words. thats AWFUL.

i'd call your doctor. eek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• imageBgood8507:
    Born and raised in Florida, I know all about how bad BAD sunburns feel!  I honestly would put a call in to your Dr. just to be safe!  I know people that have been admitted to the hospital for bad sunburns (sunburns that literally feel like you are black and blue all over) Also, ask him if you can use the green bottle of Solarcaine (I usually get it at Walgreens, CVS, but I think it's available anywhere!) It works WONDERS on really bad sunburns.  It literally numbs your skin, but again, I am not sure if it is safe during pregnancy so I would ask!

black and blue - thats what my legs feel like...
    i might call and ask about the solarcaine. aloe helps by only for a short amount of time. i'll be getting SPF 100 for our OBX vacation..

Thanks.

• Wow I feel terrible for you! Sad I would certainly call your OB just to be safe. I don't typically use a high spf (the most 20) because I rarely get sunburned but while pregnant I use at least a 45spf and I'm not pale at all. I would highly recommend using double the spf strength you typically use just to be on the safe side. I use 100spf on my DS. Sounds crazy but we like to go to the beach a lot and I can't imagine having a sunburned LO.

Take care of yourself momma! I hope you feel better soon!

Logan - 11/09, Lander 08/11, Baby #3 ~It's a girl!!~ EDD: 04/10/14

• Ouch! And I was miserable with just my right forearm being burned!

Don't forget to drink extra extra water. Sunburns like that will make you dehydrated.

• that looks so so so painful... I though I got it bad but my burnt shoulders and arms are nothing compared to that. Hope you can find some relief!!! 
  • I got fried (official diagnosis 2nd degree burns) with my last pregnancy. It's a good idea to check in with your doctor.  An oddly soothing remedy my doc recommended was to mash very ripe banana with a little milk and brush it on (use a soft paintbrush, pastry brush, or a really big makeup brush). You just have to be ready to smell like fruit salad and sit on towel.
  • I feel so bad for you! There's an old remedy that my grandma swears by, and after sun poisoning at band camp my senior year, I do too.  Fair warning, it sounds crazy.. but it works.

1 part White Vinegar, 1 part almost warm water.. Soak a brown paper bag in the solution and put it directly on the affected areas for 5-10 minutes. It "draws the heat out of the burn."   If you can't find a brown paper bag, washcloths work okay as well..

Seriously!  Try it, and I hope you feel better soon! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"