2nd Trimester

Dry cleaning carpets?

DP and I just recently purchased a new home.  Unfortunately, it was a short sale and the prior owners left the place a complete, filthy mess.  The carpets, in particular, are pretty scary.  They either need a really good cleaning or should probably be ripped out and replaced. 

My partner wants to use the same carpet cleaning service he's used for a long time and had really good results with.  Apparently, they dry clean the carpets rather than use the steam cleaners I'm familiar with.  I'm concerned, however, about the potential exposure to the chemicals during pregnancy and also anything that might linger in the nursery.  (I'm due in early September.)

We will have at least two weeks after when we would have the carpets cleaned prior to move in, so we could at least ventilate the place well.

What are people's thoughts?  

Also, the company offers an anti-microbial/anti-fungal treatment they can put on the carpets as well.  Any thoughts about potential additional risks of these?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dry cleaning carpets?

• i don't know, but you might re-post on "The Eco Friendly Family" board. those ladies know a lot about dangerous chemicals and such and can probably give you lots of good info.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• Thanks for the suggestion.  I've cross-posted over there.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"