Natural Birth
Options

RP from August board: Advice from 2nd timers

Anyone not wanting to deliver on their back? Anyone 2nd timers with advice?

I really want to deliver squatting or on my hands and knees. Any second timers deliver like this? If so did you flip over to deliver the placenta or deliver it right after in the same position? Were you handed the baby immediately? Did you help catch the baby? Finally was the hospital staff accommodating to your desire to deliver in the non-traditional way and not the on-your-back & knees-to-chest way?

Sorry this post has so many questions, it's just that the only birth I've actually attended was a back birth with mom holding her legs. It was absolutely amazing but just not what I want. TIA!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: RP from August board: Advice from 2nd timers

• Options

Try to be open to what feels good to you at the time. There's a post several down where lots of the ladies shared their birth positions.

I was trying to deliver side-lying, but the pressure on my hip was unbearable. I flipped over to deliver hands-and-knees, and the nurses actually raised the back of the bed, so I was more in a kneeling prayer position. After she was born, there was some confusion about how to get her to me. They actually just cut the cord (NOT what I wanted) and put her right on my chest. I was too thrilled to have her in my arms to really worry about the cord clamping thing. I didn't help deliver her or touch her while I was pushing. I believe I was offered a mirror but declined. The hospital staff did not seem to care what position I gave birth in, and I was with a hospital/OB that was not natural-friendly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    zenmazenma member
    imageStacieJane:

Try to be open to what feels good to you at the time. There's a post several down where lots of the ladies shared their birth positions.

I was trying to deliver side-lying, but the pressure on my hip was unbearable. I flipped over to deliver hands-and-knees, and the nurses actually raised the back of the bed, so I was more in a kneeling prayer position. After she was born, there was some confusion about how to get her to me. They actually just cut the cord (NOT what I wanted) and put her right on my chest. I was too thrilled to have her in my arms to really worry about the cord clamping thing. I didn't help deliver her or touch her while I was pushing. I believe I was offered a mirror but declined. The hospital staff did not seem to care what position I gave birth in, and I was with a hospital/OB that was not natural-friendly.

Thanks so much for the info and for giving me some insight on your experience. I'll definitely search for that post!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

here's the post that pp was referring to.  :)

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/53974283.aspx

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    zenmazenma member
    imageTexas77again:

here's the post that pp was referring to.  :)

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/53974283.aspx

Left Hug  Thank you! I was having trouble finding it.

• Options

Don't be too set on positions for delivery.  With my first I pushed on my back, on my left side, on my right side, I squatted and then I actually delivered on my back.

My second was delivered with my rolled slightly on to one hip but more or less on my back.

Nobody 'made' me be in any one position, it was the doctor who made the suggestions for changes in position for my first.

I did not catch the baby either time.  Placenta delivered without drama both times within a couple of minutes with me lying on my back holding my son(s).

It'll be hard to know what you want and what works for you until the time comes.  Keep an open mind.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options

I delivered DS while squatting on the toilet (don't even ask...). With DD, I felt like squatting again but this time, they were able to do something to the bed (they kind of lowered the end part of the bed down) so that I could squat on the bed. Both of my deliveries were assisted by midwives in a hospital. For me, it wasn't a matter of how I wanted to deliver -- my body basically took over and I HAD to deliver in the squatting position. The midwives were very open to letting me deliver in whatever position I wanted, as long as they were able to comfortably get underneath and assist me.

When I delivered on the toilet, they immediately gave DS to me (cord still attached) and helped me walk over to the bed and lay down and I delivered the placenta lying in bed with DS in my arms.

When I delivered squatting on the bed, they again immediately handed DD to me and helped me lay back in the bed so I could deliver the placenta while holding DD.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    flyer23flyer23 member

With DD, I mostly pushed on my hands and knees. It got uncomfortable towards the end and so I switched to side-lying, and that's when she actually came out. My OB and nurse were very accommodating. In fact, I think one of them suggested hands and knees originally (or it might have been my doula who suggested it, I can't remember now), and when I said it wasn't comfortable anymore, one of them suggested side-lying.

I did not help catch her -- I don't think I really knew at the time that that was an option. They did hand her to me immediately. I sat up in bed to hold her and gape at my beautiful baby Smile That's the position in which I ended up delivering the placenta.

At least for me, I've always had a relatively long break between second and third stage (probably 20-30 mins for DD, and close to an hour for DS) -- it's not like it comes shooting out right behind the baby Smile And it's much easier to deliver. So, plenty of time to switch positions after baby delivery, and less of a need to be in a gravity-friendly position.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options
    I didn't want to give birth on my back, so I gave birth on my side. And the OB and staff let me. DH and doula were both present and they knew my wishes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    zenmazenma member
    imageflyer23:

With DD, I mostly pushed on my hands and knees. It got uncomfortable towards the end and so I switched to side-lying, and that's when she actually came out. My OB and nurse were very accommodating. In fact, I think one of them suggested hands and knees originally (or it might have been my doula who suggested it, I can't remember now), and when I said it wasn't comfortable anymore, one of them suggested side-lying.

I did not help catch her -- I don't think I really knew at the time that that was an option. They did hand her to me immediately. I sat up in bed to hold her and gape at my beautiful baby Smile That's the position in which I ended up delivering the placenta.

At least for me, I've always had a relatively long break between second and third stage (probably 20-30 mins for DD, and close to an hour for DS) -- it's not like it comes shooting out right behind the baby Smile And it's much easier to deliver. So, plenty of time to switch positions after baby delivery, and less of a need to be in a gravity-friendly position.

This made me lol Big Smile

Thanks Ladies for your experiences and advice! I'll definitely be keeping an open mind and letting my OB know my wishes. 

• Options
    erinb31erinb31 member
    I think my midwife was totally fine that I planned to squat or be on all fours, but when the time came I wanted to be on my back, and I helped catch the baby.  If you are planning to squat, it might help to have your own birthing stool with you-- I would imagine it is easier for hospital staff if you are on the stool than simply squatting (it might be a way to be firm in what you want if they tell you to do otherwise).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I delivered in side-lying position. I began pushing on my back (was being monitored and getting bloodwork when I felt the urge to push), and it was actually my CNM who asked me to turn onto my side. My nurse held one leg when I pushed, then set it in a stirrup n between pushes. Hubs was at the side of the bed, facing me, holding my arm/hand. DD was placed on my chest right after my MW caught her (I didn't even have to ask, and had already discussed delayed cord clamping with my MW), and I delivered the placenta on my back. My advice would be to talk about your preferences with your provider, though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"