High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Testing Blood Sugar question

How much difference does a few minutes make? I am only on my 2nd day, and I totally forgot what time I finished my breakfast. It could have been 9:15, it could have been 9:45. I got distracted by my son, and totally forgot, so I tested at 10:15, and it was high... (yesterday, it was not) I had 1 slice of whole wheat toast and egg whites, it shouldn't be 152.  I hate this. I'm so frustrated. Do I test again now?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Testing Blood Sugar question

• Options

a few minutes shouldn't make a huge difference....30 minutes would likely make a difference though (so if you did eat at 9:45..and tested 30 minutes later at 10:15 that would be testing way too early)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    sraexxsraexx member

Hey, aren't you one of my September ladies? Welcome to the world of needles, timing meals and too much peanut butter. 

Are you supposed to be checking at 1 hour or 2. Even 15 minutes makes a big difference at the 1 hour check. The 2 hour is a little more forgiving. Your breakfast sounds fine, so you shouldn't be high, make sure your hands are washed it can mean a big difference.

Hang in there it gets to be routine. I still forget my times and even to take my fasting before stuffing my face some days. I was diagnosed at 15 weeks. 

BabyName Ticker
    my read shelf:
    Summer Rae Garcia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was told 10 even 15 minutes late isn't too big of a deal. Anything more than 30 minutes late isn't accurate. It you tested too early that would explain why it was high. I wouldn't test again, but maybe make sure you're drinking a bunch of water and try to talk a little walk to bring the number down.

I often have to guess what time I should test because I'm distracted taking care of DD or getting her food, too. Sometimes I'll set a timer so I don't have to pay attention to the clock - I test one hour from the first bite of food, so as I take that bite I set the timer.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagesraexx:

Hey, aren't you one of my September ladies? Welcome to the world of needles, timing meals and too much peanut butter. 

Are you supposed to be checking at 1 hour or 2. Even 15 minutes makes a big difference at the 1 hour check. The 2 hour is a little more forgiving. Your breakfast sounds fine, so you shouldn't be high, make sure your hands are washed it can mean a big difference.

Hang in there it gets to be routine. I still forget my times and even to take my fasting before stuffing my face some days. I was diagnosed at 15 weeks. 

Yep. I'm a Sept. Momma. I took it again at 10:45, because I truly have no idea if it was 9:15 or 9:45 when I finished eating. It was 119, so I guess that I did it a half hour to early.

I really want to do it accurately, because if I don't have a problem with my sugar in the next 2 weeks, I don't have to continue. Obviously, if there's a problem I want to do whats best for the baby, but my GTT is inconclusive due to my gastric bypass, so the only way to know is to monitor for 2 weeks. 

• Options
    sraexxsraexx member
    imagelmjt:
    imagesraexx:

Yep. I'm a Sept. Momma. I took it again at 10:45, because I truly have no idea if it was 9:15 or 9:45 when I finished eating. It was 119, so I guess that I did it a half hour to early.

I really want to do it accurately, because if I don't have a problem with my sugar in the next 2 weeks, I don't have to continue. Obviously, if there's a problem I want to do whats best for the baby, but my GTT is inconclusive due to my gastric bypass, so the only way to know is to monitor for 2 weeks. 

At the beginning I would text DH to tell him I was eating then I would have the time recorded. 

BabyName Ticker
    my read shelf:
    Summer Rae Garcia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

I set my alarm on my phone as soon as I'm finished eating so I don't forget.  I'm a S/WAHM with a 21 month old.  Things get busy here and it slips my mind unless I have a reminder.

Tip - be sure to thoroughly wash your hands before you test.  If you have something on your fingers, it can affect your results.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips ladies!
  • Options
    If I'm out I set my phone alarm when I start eating or I would forget to test completely. If I'm at home I either write it down on my digital post-its or on our kitchen white board depending on where I am in the house. If I'm home alone and don't have plans for the day I make myself consistently start eating on the hour or 30 minute mark.
  • Options

I write the time I finished my meal down in my diabetes record book. Then I write the time I tested my blood sugar which would be two hours after my last meal. I also keep a notebook of everything I eat during the day.

Example: 9:40am (ate) 11:40am (checked) results 96

This help me alot since I tend to forget everything lately.

• Options

Maybe your Dr. is different, but I was told to time my test for 1 hr after my first bite of food, not based on when I finished eating. Also, like PP said, make sure you wash your hands before you test!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"