November 2011 Moms
Options

Things people say

I feel lucky in that I haven't been inundated with inappropriate comments, or questions yet. But so far 2 things that people have said have really bugged me. "Are you ready for a really hot summer?" and "Your life is going to change so much! You have no idea!"

First off, I feel pretty lucky to be in my 2nd trimester during the summer. I hopefully won't be super uncomfortable during the high heat, and as a bonus I get to wear capris and sun dresses all summer long.

Second of all, yes I have some idea how much my life is going to change! Why do you think DH and I waited to have kids? I would have waited longer if my biological clock hadn't been ticking. I get that it's going to change, and beyond that there is nothing you can say that will help. I'll just have to have the baby and find out for myself.

How about you? Anything that people have said rubbed you the wrong way?

Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Things people say

• Options
    I can only think of one thing right now. I announced after 2 sonos with a strong heartbeat and no problems that I was pregnant. It was around 9 weeks, I think. A doctor I work with said "You aren't supposed to tell people until 14 weeks, because it isn't a sure thing yet." I told him it is never a sure thing until you are holding a baby in your arms.
    Can't wait to meet our miracle this November!! BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I hear ya! I count myself lucky that I'm not going to be in 3rd tri during the summer, so I don't see what the big hub-bub is about for me personally. We get a lot of "Are you excited?" It's bad enough that we got it so much with our first, but we're still getting it with our second. Of course we're excited, but we're not jumping for joy every minute of the day. Stick out tongue
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    JanimalJanimal member

It used to bug me when I was pg with DD when people said "get your sleep while you can!"  - as if you could somehow sleep extra and store it away and use it later. 

This time around, so far not so bad.  Although someone at work did ask me if this baby was an "oops". 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jb2rnjb2rn member

I posted once on here that the ONLY things you should say to a pregnant woman are "wow, you look great!" and "how are you feeling?" those are the only acceptable things to say, IMO.

I don't get all the horror stories and such. I don't want to hear about your back labor for 60 hours or the friend of a friend who had a baby that died, thankyouverymuch. I have enough worry.

No one has said anything directly to me other than telling me bad stories about themselves.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options

I haven't heard too much yet, but I feel like I am bracing myself for it, especially when it comes to my family....

We are doing things quite differently than what's "normal" at home! I'm not bringing up our choice of birth location (home birth), I've started to get some off-handed comments about cloth diapering, and a lot of my cousins my age did not breastfeed, so I'm not sure what they'll say (assuming I am able).  

It's mostly been my friend's dad, of all people, to make comments about my diet and planned parenting choices. His daughter, my BFF from high school, has made a couple comments about things (you'll be begging to be induced!), but I don't think it is judgmental as much as it is speaking from her experience.  

• Options

I have to agree with Janimal, if I have to hear one more time "get your sleep while you can or you're going to be so tired once the baby comes" I'm gonna scream.

I've also gotten "just you wait you'll never have the same body as you did before the baby" and "you don't even know how painful childbirth is, are you ready?"

1. I'm well aware my body will not look the same, but I also plan on taking care of myself and my body so that I hopefully can bounce back easily.

2.From what I've heard yes childbirth does sound painful, but people feeling the need to constantly tell me so is getting annoying. Unless you've given birth shut the he!! up, cause you haven't been through it!

• Options

Here's all the comments I've heard since we got PG that I feel are just beyond stupid and rude.

"Are you sure there's only one?"  Yep, the u/s shows only one and the tech and doctor have both confirmed there is only one.  You're making me feel fat.  Thanks for that.

"You're life is going to change completely.  You better get your rest now."  Yes, I'm aware that my life is going to change and I'm going to be sleep deprived for the rest of my life.  However, I waited until I was mature enough to have a family.  I look forward to ALL the changes GOOD and BAD!

"WHAT?  What do you mean you aren't finding out what you're having?  How will you even plan?"  We'll find out when the baby arrives.  We'll plan no differenly than everyone else with the exception that everything will be gender neutral so that we'll be able to use it again if we choose to have a 2nd.  Get over it.  It's our decision not your's.  It's not like people have had the technology for millions of years.

"A November baby...do you know how hot it gets here in the summer."  Yes, I've lived in IL for 36 years.  I'm well aware of the fact it can be 40 degrees one day and 90 the next.  I'll deal with it.  It's not the end of the world.  And after breast cancer and trying for almost 18 months, I'm pretty happy we got PG at all."

"If you breast feed, your breasts will never be the same."  Um, after a lumpectomy, they aren't the same.  I'm happy I still have my breasts so that I can breast feed my child.

Daisypath baby
  • Options
    imageJacquelineTyler:

I have to agree with Janimal, if I have to hear one more time "get your sleep while you can or you're going to be so tired once the baby comes" I'm gonna scream.

I've also gotten "just you wait you'll never have the same body as you did before the baby" and "you don't even know how painful childbirth is, are you ready?"

1. I'm well aware my body will not look the same, but I also plan on taking care of myself and my body so that I hopefully can bounce back easily.

2.From what I've heard yes childbirth does sound painful, but people feeling the need to constantly tell me so is getting annoying. Unless you've given birth shut the he!! up, cause you haven't been through it!

And if you have given birth, I don't want to hear your horror stories 15 million times. 

Daisypath baby
  • Options
    Ugh I know how you feel.  This morning my coworker came in to hear what we found at our u/s this weekend.  I told her girl and then we were talking about how it was an elective u/s so I was anxious to have my REAL 20 week anatomy scan just to make sure the baby is healthy, etc.  She had to jump in and say "you need to stop worrying so much, you are going to worry yourself crazy!  Just be thankful you are where you are and take one day at a time."  Woah woah woah, since when am I unthankful?  She knows that DH and I were having IF problems and that I was on clomid when we conceived.. so of course I thank God everyday for our baby girl.  Clomid did not work for her so her and her DH adopted 10 years ago.  I'm not sure if she maybe just doesn't know what else to say since she has never experienced carrying a baby, but it pissed me off!  Phew, I feel better - thanks for posting about this topic today! :)
  • Options

i couldn't agree with alllll the previous posts. my baby isn't here yet and i already have people telling me how to raise him or changes i should make before he gets here.

the comments that piss me off the most are dog related. i have 3 large dogs and for some reason people seem to think i should kick them out or give them away. yea, so not happening. they're all laid back and are pretty independent. they don't require 24/7 attention like i think people assume.. but my husband and i will make it a point to make sure they get the attention they need to make the transition with baby as smooth as possible. i'm also not worried about their reaction to the baby.. they're great with kids of all ages, even if they don't know them. but apparently, i'm a dumba$$ because i couldn't possibly know anything about my dogs and their personalities and i should be freaking out about their reactions and save myself the time and just get rid of them.

i gave up arguing with them because i end up getting really annoyed and go into b!tch mode. i just smile, nod and say "i guess we'll see.."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imageMrsC2009:

"A November baby...do you know how hot it gets here in the summer."  Yes, I've lived in IL for 36 years.  I'm well aware of the fact it can be 40 degrees one day and 90 the next.  I'll deal with it.  It's not the end of the world.  And after breast cancer and trying for almost 18 months, I'm pretty happy we got PG at all."

Same here, but I've only lived in IL for 28 Wink

• Options
    i'm so tired of everyone giving me advice or just plain telling me what to do. "oh you should definitely have a natural birth, don't do a c-section". "you have to breast feed or your baby will be sick all the time". "you're going to need so much help after the baby is born, you won't be able to do anything yourself". "don't find out the sex ahead of time, it will be more exciting". everytime i hear something like this i want to scream!!!
  • Options

Wow - thank goodness I'm not the only one that this is happening to and thank goodness I'm also not the only one annoyed by it!

Just this morning my 'boss' (really my supervisor that I just submit time off forms to her because our managers had too much work load) was talking about her daughter (which she always does when I bring up my pregnancy) and talked about how her daughter stayed in her room for 6 months and she wished me luck when we try to move our son to his room. I informed her that as of now, we are not planning on having him in our room because we are right next door to the nursery and everyone tells me breaking the habit is hard. She goes on to tell me that I shouldn't say things like that, because if I end up changing the way I do things, then people will 'judge me' later on. Excuse me?? Who the eff's right is it to judge me on how I raise my child. We will do what works for us and for us period. The comments about getting sleep now really bother me too! Oh, and people hate that we are keeping the name a secret until birth. I don't understand why they care so much? Because they won't be able to criticize my choice? LOL. My mom assured me yesterday that once someone has a baby, they think they know everything and I should just blow it off....the hormones make it hard sometimes though!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"