3rd Trimester
Options

XP: anyone with toddlers...need advice?

DD just turn 2 in march and has gotten into the habit of blaming people for things.  normally, this would be no big deal for a 2 year old, but she blames people when she's hurt or has a boo-boo.  example, she was jumping on DH this afternoon and his belt scratched her.  she started crying and said 'daddy hit me,' when she was the one who was jumping on him on the floor.  another example, every time she has a scratch, bruise, boo-boo, anything really, she blames a little boy at school.  even if it's a boo-boo i've seen her get at home.  after she blames the little boy at school and you tell her that he didn't hurt her, she'll blame someone else.  'maw-maw did it' (meaning grandma).  she'll literally go down the line of people she knows and blame them.  i'm sure this is just a phase, but i really worry about her going around telling people that other people are hurting her.  

advice?  ideas? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: XP: anyone with toddlers...need advice?

• Options
    Oh man, I have noooo Idea.... I do know my neighbor has a little girl that does the same thing, so it sounds like a phase, but hope she gets out of it soon as well!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have any suggestions but did you post this on 24+ months board. GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageangelproberts:
    I don't have any suggestions but did you post this on 24+ months board. GL

yep, just hoping to get as much advice as possible...thanks! 

• Options
    I would concentrate on her boo boo and not who did it or how it happened i would ignore the who and how part and just fix up the boo boo and not talk about it.  It probably is just a phase and the more you ignore it the faster it should phase out.
  • Options

I think it's a normal phase. ?DS does it occasionally, though not regularly. ?I just ignore it or make a joke out of it (e.g. today he told me the fire truck hit him). ?He will also sometimes pretend that his toys (e.g. cars) are hitting/pushing each other. ?When that happens, we pretend that the offending car has to go to timeout and then say sorry to his "friends." ?

Does your DD go to daycare? ?I assume DS's "tattling/blaming" thing may be associated with daycare. I just try to roll with it and not make a big deal about it. ?I'm sure it's just a phase.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    megd06megd06 member
    that's a tough one. What have you done so far? I'd try just ignoring her when she says it, if you haven't already--and see if she drops it when she sees that it doesn't raise a reaction.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageLawLove08:

I think it's a normal phase.  DS does it occasionally, though not regularly.  I just ignore it or make a joke out of it (e.g. today he told me the fire truck hit him).  He will also sometimes pretend that his toys (e.g. cars) are hitting/pushing each other.  When that happens, we pretend that the offending car has to go to timeout and then say sorry to his "friends."  

Does your DD go to daycare?  I assume DS's "tattling/blaming" thing may be associated with daycare. I just try to roll with it and not make a big deal about it.  I'm sure it's just a phase.

yes, she goes to daycare.  i agree that maybe she's picking it up from there.  i told DH that maybe when something happens they ask who did it...??  like, 'who hit you?'  and maybe that's why she's coming up with random names.  she almost always blames a boy from school named Aiden for EVERYTHING.  so maybe he's a little bully..i'm not sure. 

• Options

imagemegd06:
    that's a tough one. What have you done so far? I'd try just ignoring her when she says it, if you haven't already--and see if she drops it when she sees that it doesn't raise a reaction.

right now we just say, 'no, maw-maw didn't do that' and try to make her realize that they didn't hurt her.  when she said DH hit her today i just said, 'no, daddy didn't hurt you, it was just an accident, you jumped on daddy.'  i'm trying to make her realize that things are accidents...but that's probably not going to work if she doesn't understand what an accident means... 

• Options
    I would just ignore it, too.  You can pay attention to the boo-boo, but just don't acknowledge who she places the blame on.  I don't think they're old enough to understand what an accident is anyways.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"