February 2011 Moms

Who has started giving cereal?

We gave Liam his first serving of rice cereal yesterday.  He didn't seem to mind it and I'm sure the whole feeding process will get better with practice.  Here is my question...

Dr. said to make 1tbs of cereal mixed with the formula.  How much of the made cereal are you giving to your LOs?  I just didn't think there was any way I could make him eat the whole serving.  Or am I supposed to try to give as much of it as possible?

Does that even make sense? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Re: Who has started giving cereal?

• DS LOVES his cereal he eats every bite and cries when it's gone. I would just give him as much as he'll eat, if I were you. Also, I don't know how thick or thin you're making it' but my DS prefers it a little thicker. I think it's easier to eat that way, when it's thin it runs out of his mouth more.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • bmp84bmp84 member

We had to play with the consistency a bit before she was happy with it. She liked it a LOT thicker than the box suggested for the first feeding. I don't even measure anymore. I make about a tablespoon worth at a time and most of the time, she'll eat 3-4 tbs worth, but sometimes she's not into it and only eats half of 1 tbs.

He'll let you know when he's had enough- just follow his cues and don't worry about getting a certain amount in. He's still getting used to the whole process of solids/spoon. We started Lena about a week and a half ago and she eats a lot more now. Good Luck and have fun with it!

• Loading the player...
  • We tried it at a week ago and he was not interested in it. I am going to ask the pedi at his shots apt next week about re-trying it. Right now he is content with just bewb juice.
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagedaniellepanda:
    We tried it at a week ago and he was not interested in it. I am going to ask the pedi at his shots apt next week about re-trying it. Right now he is content with just bewb juice.

This is us too. He doesn't mind the spoon in his mouth but he hates the taste. He makes a face like this is gross mom and pretty much spits it out or throws it up afterwards. 

image     image

image    image

• yeah skip the box suggestion because then its no different then soup or formula. we have given DD a few spoons of cereal because she has been eying our food so intently and she has actually been getting mad because we are eating and she is not. Feed him until he seems content.
  • I'll wait til she's 6 months. There's no reason to start now. And, I want her to stay a baby as long as possible seeing as she's my last. I'm in no hurry to force her to grow up and be eating things already.

I might be a tad lazy, too. That's extra dishes to clean right there, and I'm not prepared for that yet. 

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • We're waiting until 6 months. He doesn't need it before then. I appreciate the ease of just nursing/pumping at this point. Once you start down the solids road, it's kind of a PITA.  Smile

Don't worry about him eating it all. Just let him eat as much or as little as he wants. This is nothing more than practice - he doesn't need it, it's just to get him used to eating vs. drinking.

imageimage
  • imageTiffanyTheMom:

I'll wait til she's 6 months. There's no reason to start now. And, I want her to stay a baby as long as possible seeing as she's my last. I'm in no hurry to force her to grow up and be eating things already.

I might be a tad lazy, too. That's extra dishes to clean right there, and I'm not prepared for that yet. 

This. DS doesn't need anything other than my milk right now. I'm not rushing anything.  

• imageflypink:
    imageTiffanyTheMom:

I'll wait til she's 6 months. There's no reason to start now. And, I want her to stay a baby as long as possible seeing as she's my last. I'm in no hurry to force her to grow up and be eating things already.

This. DS doesn't need anything other than my milk right now. I'm not rushing anything.  

Ditto
  • Ditto.  I don't plan on doing cereals or solids until 6 months  unless the pedi has a convincing argument otherwise. 
  • Ditto as well! I plan on waiting :) DD's 4 month appt is next Thursday and I planned on asking him then what he suggested, but honestly I think I'll probably hold off until 5 maybe even 6 months. I feel exactly the same as Tiffany....she's my last one and I'm in no hurry!
    Nicole, Mommy to baby Jordan Santiago born 3-31-06 and Isabella Grace born 1/28/2011 image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We are waiting for the green light from pedi, DD will have her 4 month check on the 21st. If she says go ahead at 4 mos, I may still wait till about 5mos. But we will see.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
    DD Born: 2/18/11
    LO #2 EDD: 10/16/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"