December 2011 Moms

How to tell coworker who had recent loss

I'm getting pretty close to announcing at work that I'm expecting. Our team is virtual so it will be via a conference call we're all on. One of my teammates had a m/c in February and so I would like to be considerate of her feelings. I am thinking of calling her beforehand, but am not sure what to say?

She didn't tell everyone about her m/c (she hadn't announced pregnancy) but did tell me about it so I feel like that means we're close enough that I need to tell her I'm expecting myself and that I plan to announce on the call so she's prepared. We have another girl on the team who announced her pregnancy after this coworkers' miscarriage so I won't be the first but really want to be considerate of her feelings. Since I haven't been through a loss, I was just wondering what you all think is appropriate or what is the best way to tell her. I know she will be excited for me (and to be honest, I have suspicions she may be expecting herself again), but I certainly do not want to be the source of any pain for her. 

TIA! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How to tell coworker who had recent loss

• I would email her a few hours before the conference call to give her a heads-up.  Better to read it than to have to respond directly on the phone.
    Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with pp.  I would much rather read it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageDiademChi:
    I would email her a few hours before the conference call to give her a heads-up.  Better to read it than to have to respond directly on the phone.

This exactly, that way she can have the reaction she needs to have.

Big Sisters 2/10 & 12/11
    Little Brother 3/1/18
  • Considering everything you wrote here, she clearly felt she was close enough to you to tell you about her loss.  As someone who has had a loss, I think I would prefer a phone call over an e-mail - I just think that if you two have actually spoken about her loss, a conversation would be more appropriate (e-mail just feels so impersonal).  Either way, I am sure she will appreciate your consideration of her feelings.
  • imageJoAnna914:
    Considering everything you wrote here, she clearly felt she was close enough to you to tell you about her loss.  As someone who has had a loss, I think I would prefer a phone call over an e-mail - I just think that if you two have actually spoken about her loss, a conversation would be more appropriate (e-mail just feels so impersonal).  Either way, I am sure she will appreciate your consideration of her feelings.

I agree with you JoAnna914. I've been there too and I got blindsided by a group e-mail to the team.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would prefer an email followed by a phone call. That way she can react in her own way. And then you can call her to follow-up. There is no good way to tell her-which probably stresses her out as much as you. 
    For some reason it took us forever and a day to get and stay pregnant. Cancelled IVF, failed IUI's and a marriage in crisis sandwiched within two years. Now, we've been blessed with two girls and a Christmas Baby is on the way. Not planned but perfect. www.ApronStrings.typepad.com
  • I would prefer a quick email.  I think then she has a chance to react on her own and then "face" you later either by calling you or just on the group conference call. After my losses, I felt like everyone was getting pregnant and it was hard to handle sometimes.  I was genuinely excited for them, but I needed some time to react on my own before putting on my happy face (or voice) for them.
    9.20.10 Natural M/C
  • Thank you all so much! I think I will send her an individual email and my guess is she will likely call me after reading the email. If she doesn't, I will call and check on her later on and be sure to give her a few days notice before the team call. I really appreciate all of the insight!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"