Austin Babies

Car seats and strollers? Chicco? Graco? Other? Help? :)

So we are preparing to start our registry list and I have been back and forth about which car seat/stroller to register for.  I have heard lots of good things about the Chicco Keyfit and the Graco Snugride, but can't decide which I prefer.  Also, should we get a travel set or register for the pieces separately? 

I am soooooo lost!  Can you ladies rec your car seats and strollers?  :) 

Thanks!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Car seats and strollers? Chicco? Graco? Other? Help? :)

• I love our Snugride 32.  And we got this Graco stroller to go with it.  It doesn't match but I totally don't care about that.  I love that the car seat pops in and out of the stroller easily and that I can fold the stroller up with one hand and throw it in the back of the car. 
    No siggy pic until TB gets rid of Twitter and FB links Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I know the Gracco was cheaper - but I love my Chicco. I can open and close the Chicco stroller with ONE HAND. I couldn't do that with the Gracco. We still use the stroller even though we don't use the carseat anymore.
  • Loading the player...
  • we picked the chicco keyfit over the graco, but they were both at the top of my list too.  I told DH that they both got good ratings and he decided that he liked the chicco better - the buttons, straps, etc. 

we got a snap-n-go for our stroller, since i've never heard good things about travel systems.  so far, we love it.  it's so light and easy for me to handle by myself.  i think we'll also get a BOB or something else for when she outgrows her carseat (we don't have sidewalks here, so the road is pretty rough on plastic wheels).  

image  image
  • We have/had the Chicco travel set and loved it! I love most all Chicco products. However, if we have a second baby I will not do a travel system. I will purchase any carseat of my choice, one with a base that will allow me to click it in and out of the car, and then purchase a snap n' go stroller. For me, the travel systems were just too bulky. I want something lightweight with still a little bit of storage.

Sorry... I am on a mac and can't make it clicky right now. 

ETA: Here we go, something like this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was just discussing this with my cube neighbor...just kinda rambling about how there are SO many options or scenarios to go with. She just looked at me and was like "Oh no, you just with one of those all-in-one travel systems, that's all you need"...oy vey!  I guess her way is the right way in her opinion.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have a Gracco 35 because I thought we were going to have a big baby, so wanted to make sure I could use it for a while.  In retrospect I would get the 32 because I'm not going to carry a baby that big around in a car seat so might as well change to a convertible.  We have a Zooper stroller that it fits in easily.

I like Graco though and based my decision purely off of baby bargains.

• We got the Graco Snugride 35 and loved it.  We just switched her over to her big girl car seat, a Britax Marathon 70.  We didn't do any kind of travel system, we didn't like them.  We got a BOB stroller, which she will use until she doesn't need to be in a stroller anymore.  We also like that it can be used easily on any kind of terrain and is super easy to lift into my SUV.  We got the infant adapter for it so the Snugride could attach to the BOB until she was old enough to ride it it alone (around 6 months).  We have been very happy with all of these products. :)
  • By the time I ruled it down to Graco or Chicco, I picked based on which one had a pattern that I liked.

We have the Chicco Keyfit 30 and I have no complaints. It's been a great, easy to use infant seat. It is heavier than the Graco, but I don't think it's the extra 2 pounds that makes it now hard to carry around, I think it's my  21 pound baby Wink

We went with a travel set only because the fabric I wanted was only available in a travel set. In hindsite, that was silly. I don't like the Chicco 4 wheel stroller nearly as much as my jogger. That said, I would never, ever ever pass up the opportunity to have an infant seat that clicks into a stroller, but I wish I'd done one of two other options:

Bought the jogging stroller (City Mini) I wanted with the infant seat and attachement that clicked into that. This would be my first choice. And here's a list of infant seats that fit on the City Mini attachment. Chicco and Graco are on there.

Or bought the Chicco/Graco car seat with a snap n go stroller ... and a jogger later. I think everyone should have a jogger!

• We got a Chicco Keyfit 35 to start with.  Its a great car seat and I recommend the brand  but I wish I had saved money and got one with a smaller weight limit.  I could barely carry the thing around with her as an infant, there is no way I could have carried it that long.  

I also with I had bought a snap n go stroller frame to go with the seat.  That would have been nice to have when she was small. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Also, I'm really glad I got the infant seat that holds longer/heavier babies. DD was 7 pounds 11 ounces when she was born. Perfectly normal, right? Except now she's a giant baby and I just bought her a 3T swimsuit Confused

We have a convertable carseat ready to go, but I just  can't give up my infant seat. Yes, carying 30 awkard pounds around is hard, but in restaurants, I love having the infant seat she can lay down and take a nap in, or just lay down and be rocked in.

• I bought my snap-n-go for $20 from a nestie and one of our Graco carseats for $20 from a nestie.  I love them both.  Ask a nestie!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a Chicco travel system and I so regret getting that instead of just the car seat and a snap n go.  The stroller is so bulky, as soon as he could ride in an umbrella stroller the travel system went in the attic.  Do like the Chicco, just didn't care for the travel system.
  • We went with the Peg Perego infant carrier.  It was that or the Chicco, but DH liked the look of the Peg better.  We also have the City Mini and love it.  We have the carseat adapter and I didn't really care for it.  We only used it a handful of times, as I wear DS in a carrier most of the time.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You guys have been tons of help!  I will probably wear the baby in a sling/carrier most of the time, but definitely want the stroller option.  At this point I am leaning toward the Chicco, with either a snap-n-go or a jogging stroller.  DH says I can't get a jogging stroller until I prove that I will actually use it (dang him!) but it seems practical to me. 

Up until this point I haven't heard from anyone (other than online reviewers) who have used the Chicco Keyfit - all of our friends have the Graco Snugride, so I am glad to get some info about both. 

We have HUGE babies in our family... all of my nieces were 9+, as was my step daughter, husband and his brother.  I anticipate we will hit that 30 pound mark pretty quickly, so I am really torn between getting the standard size car seat/carrier to make it easier on me weight wise or getting the higher capacity one.  I doubt I will want to carry a really heavy baby around in it, but who knows!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"