Austin Babies
Options

Eczema

Over the last couple of weeks Amelia has had an outbreak of eczema.  Our pedi recommended decreasing her number of baths and using lotion (CeraVe).  She also recommended hydrocortisone cream.  I'm not really wild about using the hydrocortisone that often.  We used the hydrocortisone for a couple of days, and have seen improvement but I would like to find a different way to manage her skin if possible.   I'm hoping that we can prevent more outbreaks if we just take better care of her skin.  So if your LO has eczema whats your bathing/skin care routine?  Any particular lotions/soaps that work best?  Anything else I can do to help her skin?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Eczema

• Options
    We use Aveeno baby bodywash/shampoo and cetaphil lotion if he needs it.  He gets a bath every night, but he runs around outside at daycare and he needs it.  Most of M's outbreaks are food related, so that is something to think about too, if you are introducing new foods she might be having a reaction.   
  • Options

We use Aveeno Soothing Relief Creamy wash for his baths.  He typically gets a bath daily because he runs around and gets all hot and sweaty.  Plus he just seems to get dirty every day!  After baths, we lather him up with the Curel Itch Defense Lotion.  It is lotion that is accepted by the National Eczema Association.  When you use it, you can tell that it is has some oils in it rather than just lotion based.  I guess the oils are better for the skin to soak it in. 

When we visited with his doctor about his eczema, he told us that we should be putting the lotion on him around 4 times a day.  I cannot say that I am able to do it that often, but I do lather his bad spots at least twice a day.

I hope that helps!

BFP#1 ended in a D&C 1/18/08 --- BFP#2 ended in ectopic with lap 4/2008---BFP#3 resulted in our beautiful twin boys born 3/6/2009! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've been battling eczema for a while now. I think there's some kind of food intolerance that it causing it but we haven't pushed the issue because it doesn't really seem to bother her.

We tried a few different OTC and prescription creams from the pedi and we finally got a referral to a derm. They gave us two different steroid creams to use and they clear it right up but I don't like using them very often.

We use pure and free shampoo and body wash..and we even found pure and free bubble bath. We use Aveeno unscented lotion. We wash her clothes in pure and free detergent and don't use fabric softener. Her derm also suggested letting her play in the tub with 3/4 cups of bleach for 20 minutes 3 times per week.

ETA: DD's eczema is only on her face.
  • Options

Baby N has eczema. It can be affected by 2 ways - skin irritation - like detergents, friction on the skin, weather changes, irritating materials (latex, etc), and so forth.   Or it can be caused by internal irritants like an allergy.  

We use a moisturizer 2x per day. We use Eucerin in a tub - it's thick and greasy but really is good.  You can do more than 2x per day if needed but it's important to keep the skin moisturized.  Don't forget about the neck, back of the ears and creases b/c these are common eczema spots.  

When we have outbreaks that won't go away and are worsening, we use Cortizone cream, 1% over the counter. 2x per day for 7 days.  Then discontinue for 7 days (it thins the skin and isn't good for long term use.)  It does work and it helps prevent the itching that can happen.  

We bathe Baby N 2x per week.  We use a mild soap that is free of all scents, perfumes, etc.  We do warm water and have her in and out in 2 min.  We then pat her dry and immediately put on the moisturizing cream.  

For laundry, all sheets, clothes, etc get washed in a mild detergent and her stuff gets an extra rinse cycle to make sure the detergent is fully washed out.  

When she's at daycare, we keep pants on her legs since she's crawling and the rubber padding on the infant play area was causing her legs to break out.  

There are also stronger steroid creams if you have an outbreak that can't be addressed w/ the hydrocortisone. I totally understand your reluctance...I don't like it either.  But it does help and if we don't use it, we can't stop her skin from breaking out.  

ETA:  We are also starting probiotics. There have been some studies showing it can help eczema.   I read this independently and then also heard it from my pedi.  Might be a good thing to try as well. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"