Nurseries and Baby Gear

KeyFit 30 question for those with babies already

Random question...Did you find that you needed one of those head/neck stabilizers for smaller babies in addition to the little insert already in there...?

I put our little summer infant extra little snuggly peice in there and it seems to just take up so much space like I wouldn't even need it for baby...? 

Just wondering

image 36weeks in image 36ish weeks out Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: KeyFit 30 question for those with babies already

• No... Our LO fit just fine... plus when we had it installed by a firefighter he told us that we just not add anything to the car seat... it can effect the design. 
    ~Married- 10.20.2007~ TTC Since- 4.3.2009 ~BFP#1- 8.25.2009 ~ Missed M/C and D&C-10.9.2009 ~BFP#2-8.12.2010 ~ EDD- 4.20.2011~ It
  • No, that insert should be all you need.  You should never add anything like that if it's not included with the car seat.  They haven't been crash tested and could compromise the seat's safety.  Here is some more info.  Steer clear of anything that you have to thread the straps through or anything that introduces padding behind the baby.  This includes bulky clothing and jackets.  If your baby needs more support you can use rolled receiving blankets like this.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the regular Chicco, but we never added any other head support, just used the one that came with the carseat. 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• imagekatcarls:
    No, that insert should be all you need.  You should never add anything like that if it's not included with the car seat.  They haven't been crash tested and could compromise the seat's safety.  Here is some more info.  Steer clear of anything that you have to thread the straps through or anything that introduces padding behind the baby.  This includes bulky clothing and jackets.  If your baby needs more support you can use rolled receiving blankets like this.

Good to know!! THANKS!!  wish I hadn't washed it yet lol  thanks!

image 36weeks in image 36ish weeks out Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJSanFran:

imagekatcarls:
    No, that insert should be all you need.  You should never add anything like that if it's not included with the car seat.  They haven't been crash tested and could compromise the seat's safety.  Here is some more info.  Steer clear of anything that you have to thread the straps through or anything that introduces padding behind the baby.  This includes bulky clothing and jackets.  If your baby needs more support you can use rolled receiving blankets like this.

Good to know!! THANKS!!  wish I hadn't washed it yet lol  thanks!

We used ours in our bouncy seat when our kiddos were newborns.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • beyogabeyoga member
    NO!!!  Our ds was a 24 week preemie and came home at 5 lbs.  We had no problem at all.
  • I also find that the one which comes with the seat is not enough, but putting the moon headrest is too much.  I'm going to try the receiving blanket trick.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our car seat inspector also advised not to add anything to the car seat that doesn't come with it.  My little guy fit in it just fine at 6lbs.
  • We also used our Summer insert for our bouncey, swing, and stroller.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Nope, never used one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekatcarls:

YesYesYes

• No.  Our LO was tiny - just 4 pounds 11 ounces - when she was born and she was fine using only the insert that came with the car seat (although the nurses did put a rolled-up receiving blanket around her when we packed her up to take her home from the hospital).  

Also, you want to be careful to not void your car seat's warranty by using post-manufacture inserts. 

• My DD was 6 pounds and fit perfectly from the hospital. I wouldn't add anything to the carseat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As previous posters said, it is not safe and voids the warrenty if you put any after market items in the car seat. The Chicco is rated the best for smaller babies and speaking from experience LO was small and fit so snuggly in there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"