Baby Names

Boy Name Question/Thoughts

What do you ladies think about the name Ross?

Now, I ask this because I grew up in the era of Friends....I'm 31, and could probably recite every single Friends episode. I still watch reruns every day on TV. But honestly, looking through baby books, my hubs and I both really like this name....and did NOT think of Friends immediately when we put it on our list. 

Also, remember that our children will most likely not have much association with this TV show, as it's already been off the air for 8 years. I think I'm more worried about ADULTS giving us a hard time about choosing the name Ross. LOL. What do you all think? Thanks so much!

BabyFruit Ticker
Me: 37 DH: 38 
BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
TFAS Dec 2013
BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

Re: Boy Name Question/Thoughts

• fraseyfrasey member
    eh... its my brother's mn, and Ive never really liked it. Never liked it on Friends either. To me its more of a sound than a name.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I love the name Ross. I had a friend in 3rd grade and he was Ross. Other than that , as a teacher, I have never known another Ross! I do not think of friends when I hear the name either so don't worry about that.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagefrasey:
    eh... its my brother's mn, and Ive never really liked it. Never liked it on Friends either. To me its more of a sound than a name.

Haha, lol...that's funny. More of a sound than a name. :) I do really like it though, maybe you don't care for it because it's your brothers name? Haha....no I'm sure that's not the reason. I not everyone will love the name we choose....but that's okay. I appreciate everyone's thoughts! And I'm glad I have a 'love' so far too!

BabyFruit Ticker
    TFAS Dec 2013

• I think it's a fine name and I don't associate it with Friends.  Chandler, yes, but that's a name you never hear anywhere else.  I know guys named Ross so to me it's a name, not a TV character.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• I think it is a fine name, I met a lot of them when living in Scotland but haven't met any over here yet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • piper09piper09 member
    DS's middle name is Ross.  It's also my grandpa's middle name.  Love it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As you can see from my badge, this will be my son's middle name. I like it... but having it as a mn was a concession to Monsieur, who wanted the first name to be Ross (not for the Friends character, but for his favorite uncle). So I like it; personally, I don't like it enough to give it as a first name, but I think it's nice.

As for Ross as a Friends reference: I wouldn't worry about it. Phoebe is gaining popularity and that's a bit more distinct that Ross. All the other "Friends" names are pretty common. Plus, as you said, the show's been off the air for 8 years now. I wouldn't worry about it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would not instantly associate it with Friends. If you had a sibset with Monica then yes I would give the side eye as pp mentioned Wink The only other Ross I have known of in real life is Ross Perot, but I like the name a lot.

Baby Girl Lennon born sleeping 6-18-11 Baby Boy Anderson born healthy and happy 8-17-12 Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think Ross is a great name! Unique but classic.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • apc1929apc1929 member
    I watched Friends a lot too but don't think that's what would come to mind if I met a little boy named it..  As for the name I am just lukewarm to it.
  • HeyJuneHeyJune member

I like it. I know 2 people named Ross.

If you're concerned about the Friends reference, there's also Russell with nn Russ (also Ross's look alike on the show, haha).

• Lurker coming out.. my fiance's name is Ross and I love it! I like his name because he's the only Ross I know. Plus it's an uncommon name but still normal, which I love!
    Anniversary

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It's not on my own list, but I like it.
  • imageHeyJune:

I like it. I know 2 people named Ross.

If you're concerned about the Friends reference, there's also Russell with nn Russ (also Ross's look alike on the show, haha).

Haha, we were talking about the Russ and Ross fiasco on the show when we came up with the name! How funny. The problem with Russell? I dated a guy in college named Russell and he wasn't so nice to me....so the association isn't good there. Otherwise, I would consider it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TFAS Dec 2013

• imagejennipea382:
    Lurker coming out.. my fiance's name is Ross and I love it! I like his name because he's the only Ross I know. Plus it's an uncommon name but still normal, which I love!

Cute! Thanks! I loooked it up and was surprised how unpopular the name is....because I agree, it's really normal....the uniqueness is an added bonus!

BabyFruit Ticker
    TFAS Dec 2013

• I like it. I don't think it's that strongly associated with Friends, either.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • I don't really like Ross, sorry.
  • imagetheluckiestduo:
    I think Ross is a great name! Unique but classic.

My thoughts exactly.

• I like it as a mn...a little boring for my taste for a 1st name though.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • This was my grandfather and dad's name. I have always liked it. Just be prepared to have him be called Russ by accident.
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • Every Ross I have ever known was gay. The name reminds me of a gay man, so its nothing I would use for a child of my own, but to each his own. Im not saying I think there is anything wrong with gay people at all, but thats what the name reminds me of.
  • I don't love it or hate it. 

Honestly, I did think of the show Friends, but that isn't a bad thing! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • My brother's name is Ross. I think it's a nice name. And no one has ever confused his name with Russ.
  • I like it. It's common enough that Friends isn't the only place the mind goes. I wouldn't bug my friends for using it, as long as other siblings don't have other Friends names.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"