3rd Trimester

2nd time moms - 2 bedroom house

We are thinking about having another child in the near future. We only have a two bedroom house. We don't plan to move, but want to add on another bedroom to our house we have now. We just can't afford that at this point, so it will be a few years. So we are planning to have our kids share a room. Anyone else having the kids share a room?

I don't know how that works with a baby and a toddler. Do you keep the baby's crib in your room until they are STTN or do you just go get them right away when they start crying so the old child doesn't wake? I don't really know what we could do. Any ideas?
image image

Re: 2nd time moms - 2 bedroom house

• My sister was in this situation with her first couple of kids.  She would keep the baby in her room until she slept through the night and then move her into the sibling's room. 
    It worked out well with them, no real issues. 
    Mom to Alex - 8.29.06, Foster - 1.22.09, Emily - 6.24.11 imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • When LO is born she will be sharing a room with my then 19-ish month old... My plan is to keep LO in our room until she is about 10-12 weeks old, then move her to the shared room... I am not quite sure how it will work out, but I figure kids, infants etc have been sharing rooms for centuries, my kids can do it too... :-)
    imageimage BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We are in the same situation - except we already have #2 on the way :)  We plan on keeping our baby in our room for the first several months, then once he (and I) are ready, he'll move in with his big sister.  I shared a room with my older brother until I was 9 and actually liked it a lot.  So I'm hoping our little ones will too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our kids shared a bedroom for over a year and it worked out find.  We kept DD with us for the first 5 months - she slept in a bassinet in the corner of our room.  Once she was sleeping pretty well, we moved her into DS's room.  We would generally put her to bed first - around 7:45 or 8 pm - and then let DS read stories in our room until about 30 min later and put him down.  He's a sound sleeper so he would pretty much always sleep through her waking up if she did cry in the middle of the night and she would sleep through his talking before he would fall asleep. It worked out fine for us - we did move recently so we will have room for our 3rd.
  • We have a 3BR house, but plan on having our kids share a room. The crib will be in their room, but we plan to keep baby with us in our room (either in our bed or pack n' play) until she is sleeping well. We fully anticipate this being anywhere from 6 months to a year. We slept with DS in our room until he was 2 though, so this does not phase us...it worked well and hope it will again! 
  • imageBridgetkaryn:
    When LO is born she will be sharing a room with my then 19-ish month old... My plan is to keep LO in our room until she is about 10-12 weeks old, then move her to the shared room... I am not quite sure how it will work out, but I figure kids, infants etc have been sharing rooms for centuries, my kids can do it too... :-)

This is what we will be doing too with our 18 month old.  I don't think it's fair to put a newborn in her room and expect her to sleep through the 5-6x that #2 may wake up at night.  Plus DD #1 is such a wonderful sleeper, we aren't taking any chances of messing that up.  #2 will be in our room (in a PnP) until 10-12 weeks or she sleeps about the same schedule as #1.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS #2 was in a bassinet in our room for 5-6 months and then moved to his crib in DS #1's room. They are 17 months apart and still share a room.

We will do the same thing with DS #3....bassinet in our room for 5-6 months and then move into crib in DS #1 and DS #2's room. All 3 will share a room. We have no plans to add on to our 930 sq ft 2 bedroom house yet. We just bought this house and sold our 3 bedroom house because the location/city/schools are WAY BETTER. This is our last baby though :) I love that they share a room - adds character :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We have a 3 bedroom but since my SiL lives with us it's really only 2. We have a DD who will be 3 in July and are expecting another DD in a couple weeks. 

We planned that we could have 2 children sharing a room for a couple years regardless of the gender. We figured if DC #2 was a boy we had until DD was 4 or 5 to have SiL move out so that room could become a child's room. I don't expect DD to become shy about her body until then. 

We are planning on having DD #2 stay in our room until she's on a more consistent schedule for sleeping and see how DD #1 takes being woken at night by a sleeping baby. We have a large enough room that we can set up the PnP in our room for DD #2 to sleep in if she needs to stay with us past the time she can sleep in her bassinet. 

I think once they are both in the same room i will go right away for either child crying to help not wake the other child. 

Good Luck! 

• My first two are 18 months apart and have shared a room since #2 was about 9-10 weeks old.  They have always done just fine.  We are adding a 3rd girl to our two bedroom home in July and plan to put her in the "dorm" as well.  Hopefully that will get us through the next couple of years and we can add on eventually.  Three girls  4 and under are going to be in close quarters for most of their lives, there is nothing wrong with starting them out early (at least that's what I keep telling myself)!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"