3rd Trimester

Getting difficult to work while pregnant?

I am having horrible back pain (I sit 8 hrs a day) where I am just wondering how I am going to get through the day. It is sort of too early for me to take maternity leave (we get 12 weeks)- I am just now to my 3rd trimester.

I am just wondering if there are any other moms to be out there with the same problem/how you handled it. I am just worried if I took leave now, my 12 weeks would be up and then my insurance would be up right around when the baby/delivery comes. Also scared to ask my boss... especially if there are no options then she knows I am not being productive.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Getting difficult to work while pregnant?

• I would try to see an acupunturist or chiropractor. I had horrible pain w/ my 1st and those really helped.  I got acupuncture. Also, I saw a physical therapist and she helped out quite a bit, too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Brady77Brady77 member
    I have a desk job as well and the way I sit is causing constant BH and some back pain.  Things I have done that have helped are to exchange my soft, comfy desk chair for a very upright one.  I put my feet up on a stool under my desk and I get up and walk around a lot.  I have also been trying to walk 30 minutes at lunch as well and I have brought in a heating pad for the days I am really struggling.  HTH.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would see if you can use an exercise ball to sit on instead of a chair. That helps relieve some of the back pain and pressure, as well as encourages good posture (chairs encourage slouching). You can also try keeping a heating pad (not electric, but perhaps the bean/rice ones that you can microwave) and a cool pack at work to help soothe sore areas.

I am on my feet for at least 9 hours a day and I'm finding that this week it's getting pretty not pleasant at the end of the day. I will take a 5 minute break here and there to sit and rest, so perhaps you can take like 5 minutes every hour to stand and stretch, then go back to your normal duties?

• You will definitely have back issues if you sit for too long.  I was having this weeks ago as well (weeks 26-30).  I learned that getting up and walking around every hour, for at least 5 minutes, definitely helps.  Try to stretch a bit while you are up as well.  The longer you sit, the tighter your muscles pull.

As a PP said, the chiropractor and/or a massage therapist will be your best friend in late pregnancy.  I am almost to 35 weeks and have been surviving with their help.  Now I'm just getting uncomfortable for other reasons, wondering how I'll make it the rest of the way.....  :(  I feel your pain.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Try and at least stand up and take 10 steps every 15 minutes.  It only takes a few seconds and helps keep your body from getting locked up in one spot.  Try chugging a lot of water, it will force you to make frequent trips to the bathroom and stretch your legs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • wear a support belt.

There's really nothing you can do. I wouldn't take any maternity leave until the baby comes...or a week or two before.  You'll just have to tough it out. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Mini walks have been a back saver for me. Every hour I get up and walk for 2-5 minutes and it loosens up the back tremendously. I've found my magic number is 20 steps. If I go less than 20 steps my back will still hurt, but once I hit 20 it feels great.

• imageBrady77:
    I have a desk job as well and the way I sit is causing constant BH and some back pain.  Things I have done that have helped are to exchange my soft, comfy desk chair for a very upright one.  I put my feet up on a stool under my desk and I get up and walk around a lot.  I have also been trying to walk 30 minutes at lunch as well and I have brought in a heating pad for the days I am really struggling.  HTH.

Definitely get a heating pad - mine has been my lifesaver!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hang in there! I am 37 wks and have been doing reduced hours the last couple weeks to help with the pain. I have interstitial cystitis which is a chronic pain disorder (in my bladder eeek!) and the sitting is horrible for 8 hours straight. Maybe you can work out something with your boss? I know that FMLA can be taken at any time, it can be split up before and after the baby comes, I'm taking 40 hours before the due date (10hrs a week for 4 weeks) going home at 2 instead of 4. And it still leaves me with 11 weeks left for after the baby is born. If you are in a lot of pain, listen to your body. It's trying to tell you something. I agree with the pp that you should try chiro or acupuncture. Even just taking a quick walk will probably help. I bet a heating pad would do wonders for your back!

• I have been struggling with this too. I have found that you have to take breaks every once in awhile. Get up and take a short walk around the halls, stretch out a little. Also, pay close attention to your posture. Make sure your feet touch the ground, your back is straight, you can reach your keyboard without leaning, etc. Also, I got a support belt from babies R us. I think it was about $30 but it was the best money I have spent so far this pregnancy. I wear it at work all day and anytime I go out shopping where im up walking around a lot. It feels a little silly but it has helped me a lot. Good luck!

• I also have a full day desk job and am just entering my 3rd trimester.  The two things that have helped me the most are that I make sure to get up for at least a five minute walk once an hour, and while sitting I have a stool under my desk to prop up my feet.  I was trying really hard to adopt a "business as usual" mentality at work during my pregnancy, but at this point, it's really important to listen to your body!   The five minute walk once an hour and the option to prop up my feet while seated have made a world of difference in how I feel during the day at work, as well as how I feel when I get home at night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"