Toddlers: 24 Months+

This totally bugged me this weekend.

My mom had a bunch of people over for a nice sit-down dinner on Sunday. Included was one of my mom's friends. Mom's friend has 2 kids and the older of the 2 kids is 12. Mom's friend has a habit of treating his kids like trophies. So we're sitting at dinner and mom's friend announces to the table "(insert older kid's name) got the Future of America Award this week!" I thought it was pretty cool and I turned to the kid and congratulated him and asked him what exactly the award means. Older Kid started to explain the award to me and was immediately interrupted by mom's friend. Mom's friend then launched into a 20 minute story about how all of his 5 siblings got the award when they were in school and he never did, blah blah blah. I felt so bad for his kid! Here this 12-year-old kid gets an award he's really proud of and his dad totally steals his thunder.
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image

Re: This totally bugged me this weekend.

• parents like that annoy me...poor kid.
  • Ugh, the poor kiddo. My cousin's wife is the same way and I have a very bad habit of interrupting the interrupter and saying, "Excuse me, but I was talking to _____" and then resuming our previous conversation. It's probably not the most mature way to handle it, but I hate it when anyone (especially adults) interrupt a conversation and then makes the kid I am talking with feel bad.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"