Health & Exercise

How do you get your protein?

Hi ladies,

I was never a vegetarian before being pregnant, and I hesitate to even call it that because it's probably just one of those fun food aversions that come with pregnancy, but I absolutely cannot stand meat anymore.  I've tolerated a few slices of bacon off of my husband's breakfast place once or twice, but in 16 weeks of pregnancy I can't even recall the last real meat I had.  

Are any of you vegetarian moms or going through a meat aversion like me? I want to make sure I'm getting enough protein, and I'm not sure how other than my Easter hardboiled eggs :)

Re: How do you get your protein?

• Green vegetables, nuts, greek yogurt, milk... There are a lot of protein sources that are not meat. Google high protein meals as well and you'll get a good list. Good luck with your pregnancy!
    imageimage
  • I agree that greek yogurt is a great protein source.   I also get protein from beans and lentils, Kashi Cereal products and simulated meat products.  "Meat" products like veggie ground round can be put in chilis and lasagnas or you can make tacos.  Vegetarian cook books are also a good way to find high protein meals that you like.

Occasionally if I find my protein intake to be low I will have a protein shake or bar.

Good Luck!!

• Loading the player...
  • thanks ladies! Those greek yogurts remind me of sour cream bc of the consistency but I will try again if they're so good for you.  I also forgot all about nuts and berries, which I do enjoy in a trail mix.  GL with all of your pregnancies as well!
  • Recently our grocery store started stocking individual greek yogurts with fruit at the bottom.  I have enjoyed the consistency of these much better then plain greek yogurt!
  • FloF9FloF9 member
    I'm not vegetarian but you can get protein from cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs, egg substitue, string cheese
  • I had the same thing in the beginning of my pregnancy. I made homemade lentil soup and added spinach, ate lots of egg salad sandwiches, Greek yogurt, edamame (spelling?), and started adding almond butter to fruit and shakes. I also was drinking a complete shake (Juice Plus version of protein shake) once a day. I ate the Kashi frozen meals sometimes as well, for some reason I could handle the chicken in those. I don't know that I ever hit the number I was told to (something like 80 grams of protein a day), but I got really close.

• NicciH, you're eating so much better than me! I literally just ate 3 slices of pizza and two mint choc chip icecream cones.  I feel so guilty about how I'm eating but there are so few things I'm tolerating that I'm taking whatever cravings come along.
  • I started doing breakfast smoothies with a scoop of vanilla whey protein and I also added Kashi Lean Crunchy bars... each one has 8-9g protein and make for some good snackin. Big Smile
  • Almond butter!!  I mix almond butter, honey and flax seed and spread it on bread, bananas, or apples.  Very yummy and good protein + omega3s.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't had a total aversion to meat in general, but to chicken and fish I'm right there with you.  We were never big red meat eaters to begin with so it's hard to start adding it to our diet.  I've been on quite a few websites looking up vegetarian recipes and that's helped a lot.  I generally look for things that have beans, lentils, etc in them.  Plus those items that other posters have mentioned.  I just keep hoping the chicken aversion will go away soon as figuring out dinners has gotten very challenging!

Good Luck!

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"