Maryland Babies

When is it ok?

I have a friend who is a SAHM and has a pool. When is it ok to put LO in the water? Wasn't sure if the chlorine would have a negative effect on her skin or not. I am fully aware of the sun issues and already have sunscreen and a longsleeve bathing suit, hat and sunglasses. Obviously, I wouldn't be taking her right now or next week, but is it ok by the time she is a month or two?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When is it ok?

• I'm not sure what the time span is, but I probably wouldn't do it for awhile - maybe until she's at least 2, maybe 3 months.

You can take her to the pool and just let her nap in the shade while you swim and enjoy the pool.  I'm not sure if the guidelines have changed since DD was born, but I didn't think you were supposed to use sunscreen until they were 6ish months old.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I agree with Kathryn--I would definitely wait a little longer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD's first (and only) dip in the pool was when she was 3 1/2 months old.  It was July 4th and my parents wanted to take a picture.  DH and I are not big pool people, so this wasn't really an issue. 

As far as timing I think as long as the cord is healed, then it would be fine.  Just start out with a couple minutes here and there to see how she does.  Ideally you want to do it before 10 am or after 4 pm.  Between 10 - 4 is when you get the most direct sun. 

A big floppy hat helps, but remember the sun is also reflected up from the water, so there will still be sun exposure even if she is "shaded" by a hat.  Like PP stated you aren't supposed to use sunblock until 6 months old.

Young children have very sensitive skin, so if you take her in the pool you'll probably want to give her a bath to get any residual chlorine off and then rub her down with baby oil or lotion.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageKathrynMD:

I'm not sure if the guidelines have changed since DD was born, but I didn't think you were supposed to use sunscreen until they were 6ish months old.

This was what I was told for Collin too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Something I read recently said some doctors are saying that the benefits associated with sunscreen use before 6 months out weigh the risks. This obviously is not the popular opinion yet but just an interesting thought...I wonder if down the road this will change.

I hope to take LO "swimming" Labor Day weekend. He will be 4.5 months at that point and we would be going in great-grandma's heated pool. I also plan on filling up the kiddie pool and sitting in that with him when we go on vacation in August. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd wait until 3 months personally, or 2 months. My baby has eczema and sensitive skin, so I wouldn't do it until later because it is drying - they use bleach and baking soda to clean/shock pools and it might be a problem, especially since I assume they probably just opened the pool for the summer and there are probably a higher amount of chemicals in it to prep it for summer (big assumption made on how they take of the pool, but that is the common procedure)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tmm140tmm140 member
    My mom is watching DS and we were told by the pediatrician to not use sunscreen until 6 months.  My mom has a pool and a baby pool.  She says she is going to put DS in the baby pool (no chlorine).  She even bought a mini pavilion type thing to place over him to block the sun. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ucgraducgrad member
    Just a heads up, if I remember correctly, if you had a vaginal birth, I don't think you are supposed to get in the pool until 6 weeks. (It feels like so long ago that I actually knew this stuff!)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like PP no sunscreen and I know the chemicals probably aren't good for their skin-my aunt though has a salt water pool with no chemicals and I may dip her feet in a bit next weekend at my cousins grad party-but not fully submerge her she will be 10 weeks.  We also have a pool in our neighborhood and I dont plan to put her in there until next summer-too many germs with the other kiddos.   
    image DD#1-Lillian (Lilly) Grace BabyFruit Ticker BLOG:http://lifeasweknowitkelly.blogspot.com/
  • imagetmm140:
    My mom is watching DS and we were told by the pediatrician to not use sunscreen until 6 months.  My mom has a pool and a baby pool.  She says she is going to put DS in the baby pool (no chlorine).  She even bought a mini pavilion type thing to place over him to block the sun. 

Be careful with just using that bc sun can go through those.  I know someone it happened too and their child was severely burned.

I agree with PP that using sunscreen greatly outweighs the risks of the sun.  My pedi just told me limited use and bath immediately after.  If you go to Gorgeous and Green on FB (and i believe a website), she sells natural sunscreen which is apparently awesome and probably would be ok on an infant vs the OTC chemical based sunscreens in stores.  I think I used it once the 1st 6 mo.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"