3rd Trimester

anyone else have carpal tunnel?

I never expected to have carpal tunnel syndrome!  When I wake up during the night, my entire arm is numb and my right hand really hurts. It feels better during the day, because the numbness, but my right hand still aches.

I will have to ask my dr. more at my appt. on Thurs, but anyone else have some quick fixes that will make it feel better. My mom thinks if I breath deeper it will improve circulation. I plan on working up till my due date, and I don't want this getting in the way...

MOST importantly, I want to be sure it's not affecting the baby in anyway.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: anyone else have carpal tunnel?

• Its not harming the baby.

Your only options really are to wear wrist braces at night. They help but don't fix it. The only fix at this point is delivery.

Mine has continued to get worse and now I can barely move my fingers. 

DS 6.12.11

Hypermenorrhea, Anovulatory & Hypothyroid

TTC#2

My Lack of Ovulation Chart
  • Yes I brought it up with my OB at my last appt. She basically told me to get the wrist bands to wear overnight. Other than that she said there wasn't much to do since she'd rather me not take any medications that weren't absolutely necessary. I do take tylenol PM which helps with the pain a little bit.

Hth some, you can always try a bit of regular tylenol during the day if it gets really bad.  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Not sure how carpal tunnel could possibly affect the baby....

I have it and it sucks.  It's been getting progressively worse, but I'm told it will clear up after delivery.  Until then there is nothing really you can do to get rid of it.  I have a splint that I wear at night.  That cuts down on the aching but that's about it.  I haven't felt my fingers in probably 6 weeks.  And it's always worse in the morning.  I feel like I have a claw instead of a hand.

• imagegymnst1013:

Not sure how carpal tunnel could possibly affect the baby....

I have it and it sucks.  It's been getting progressively worse, but I'm told it will clear up after delivery.  Until then there is nothing really you can do to get rid of it.  I have a splint that I wear at night.  That cuts down on the aching but that's about it.  I haven't felt my fingers in probably 6 weeks.  And it's always worse in the morning.  I feel like I have a claw instead of a hand.

I feel like you and I have answered every single CT post there's been for the last 10 weeks. 

DS 6.12.11

Hypermenorrhea, Anovulatory & Hypothyroid

TTC#2

My Lack of Ovulation Chart
  • ChicwedChicwed member

I've been battling with carpel tunnel for about a month now.  I tried everything... wearing splints, icing my hands, sleeping with my hands elevated, stretching, etc.  Nothing helped so I finally went and got cortisone shots in both of my hands.  The symptoms haven't completely gone away, but my hands are SO much better.  It's completely safe too as the cortisone acts only locally & does not entire the bloodstream.  

Good luck! 

• Thanks everyone. Good to know that I'm not the only one out there. I'm going to ask about getting the splints...maybe the shots, depending on how bad it gets...
  • Agreed - wrist braces...
  • imagekerrbear72:
    imagegymnst1013:

Not sure how carpal tunnel could possibly affect the baby....

I feel like you and I have answered every single CT post there's been for the last 10 weeks. 

Hahaha - I know!!  :)

• Holy crap I know what you are going through!  Every night, all night.....but okay during the day.  I brought this up to my doc and he said...."yeah, I hear it can be REALLY bad..."    [beat]   (me) "So what can I do about it?"  (doc)  "not have arms."

Fail.  

The only thing I have been able to do is use this squishy throw pillow under my "up" arm so only my "under" arm falls asleep.  One sleepy arm is better than both I suppose.  I will flail about in my sleep and I have woke up to DH "waking" my arm up for me by massaging it for me, though this is probably not a practical solution.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've just started having this problem.  I'm almost done so I'm not really worrying about it.  Sleeping on my left side seems to help some, but some nights I can't get comfortable on my left side and I'd rather have pain in the morning then not sleep all  night.
  • Update: Well I bought the wrist brace last night at rite aid and it helped enormously. My hand is till aching during the day, but it at least eliminated the terrible numbness at night and pain at night. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't get worse... No doubt my OB will tell me the same thing you've ladies told me tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"