Northern California Babies

Anyone from the east bay?

There is a good chance my husband and I are going to need to relocate from Long Island to San Francisco for his job.  I was just if anyone has any opinions on Orinda, Lafayette or Walnut Creek.  Also, anyone have any opinions on commuting from Marin County?  We would probably be looking to spend between 800,000 and 1 million on a home.  I would like to live somewhere with parks and a lot of activities for children.  Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone from the east bay?

• I don't think it would be any worse to commute from Marin than from the E. Bay to SF. It depends where in Marin, if you live close to the bridge, it's just a matter of dealing with bridge traffic. Check out Redfin.com to see what the housing prices are in the area you are looking at buying in. Between WC, Orinda and Lafayette, I don't know the areas as well as other here, but I like Orinda the best from what I have seen. Walnut Creek is a very busy shopping area and to me it's a little congested. But if you love lots of stores and cafes around it may be perfect! 

FYI, I am from LI too!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageamyfelice:

I don't think it would be any worse to commute from Marin than from the E. Bay to SF. It depends where in Marin, if you live close to the bridge, it's just a matter of dealing with bridge traffic. Check out Redfin.com to see what the housing prices are in the area you are looking at buying in. Between WC, Orinda and Lafayette, I don't know the areas as well as other here, but I like Orinda the best from what I have seen. Walnut Creek is a very busy shopping area and to me it's a little congested. But if you love lots of stores and cafes around it may be perfect! 

FYI, I am from LI too!  

Do you like living in Northern California?  How long ago did you move from LI?  I am not looking forward to the probable move :(  My entire family is here but this career opportunity is looking too good to pass up. 

• Loading the player...
  • Lamorinda (lafayette, moraga and orinda) are beautiful, child friendly, wonderful areas to live. My suggestion is to rent before you buy just to be sure you love an area first. Walnut Creek is nice as well but I prefer to schools in Lamorinda. WC has a thriving shoping area and is 5 minutes from Lafayette (they border each other).

As for Marin, it just isn't my scene, but the commute wouldn't be any worse that the East bay, and depending on where might be better.  But you wouldn't have the BART option (think subway like NYC), which IMHO makes commuting easier.

• I think that any of the three cities you mentioned would be great.  If you are looking for more upscale, Orinda is probably the most upscale of the three - but honestly they're all nice cities to live in.  I don't know anything about Marin or the commute.  The bridge toll is pretty high but you can probably take the ferry or another mode of transportation.
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I live in southern Marin and commute into SF. True, we don't have BART, but there are other options like buses and the ferry if you don't want to drive and pay bridge toll (which is $5 with Fastrak, or $6 cash). It's totally doable and I love the area, as it's super kid-friendly and there are tons of parks and trails around.

Redfin is a good suggestion for housing ideas. You can definitely find homes under $1M, but I don't know how many bedrooms/bathrooms you have in mind. It varies greatly.

GL and let us know whatever other questions you have!

• imageamyfelice:

I don't think it would be any worse to commute from Marin than from the E. Bay to SF. It depends where in Marin, if you live close to the bridge, it's just a matter of dealing with bridge traffic. Check out Redfin.com to see what the housing prices are in the area you are looking at buying in. Between WC, Orinda and Lafayette, I don't know the areas as well as other here, but I like Orinda the best from what I have seen. Walnut Creek is a very busy shopping area and to me it's a little congested. But if you love lots of stores and cafes around it may be perfect! 

FYI, I am from LI too!  

Oh I love Northern Cali! I miss my family though, that does make it hard. I lived in LI for my childhood, then went to college upstate then lived in NYC for a bunch of years before moving out here. I was already 33 and had wanted to move for about 10 years or more. It was just the right time finally and I didn't blink an eye. I just feel a lot more at home here, it's more my "speed". NY is just not for me. I love to hike, I love the weather, I love the politics, i love the people.  

• imageamyfelice:

FYI, I am from LI too!  

Oh I love Northern Cali! I miss my family though, that does make it hard. I lived in LI for my childhood, then went to college upstate then lived in NYC for a bunch of years before moving out here. I was already 33 and had wanted to move for about 10 years or more. It was just the right time finally and I didn't blink an eye. I just feel a lot more at home here, it's more my "speed". NY is just not for me. I love to hike, I love the weather, I love the politics, i love the people.  

Oh, I quoted the wrong box, but whatever, Also not sure why the bump is posting this twice. I moved out here 8 years ago.  

• CelynCelyn member

Welcome to CA :)  I really like Lafayette.  Of the three, it's my favorite.  Its downtown is very accessible and has a little bit of everything.  Orinda is more just a housing community to me, but I don't know it as well.  WC sprawls.  It's conveniently located to getting out of town, but getting around in town is time-consuming (lots of traffic lights and traffic).  You'll find a better selection of things in your price range there though. 

I really like many parts of Marin, but it's a very variable place.  I'd suggest more than just a perusing visit to pick town/neighborhood there.

• I live in Walnut Creek, In the northern part of the city with the borders of Pleasant Hill & Lafayette very close by. It's true that downtown can be congested, but I absolutely love it, plus we have a lot of free parking. All 3 cities that you mentioned are really great, but very different, so it is really up to your personal preference.

Have you actually been to the East Bay yet or are you going into this blind, with only internet research?

Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • I'm new to the east bay, but I'm totally in love with it! I'm I'm walnut creek and it's a great area. The schools are good, the downtown is awesome. I like that it's close to the big box stores, because with kids, at least for me I need box stores. The community is full of parks, programs and lots of families. I have never been to orinda, but I hear the schools are amazing. I like Lafayette, the downtown is cute much more small town feel less chains. But it seems older to me, less families etc.

like I said I haven't lived her long, just 3 months. Good luck with your decesion! And ditto renting here for awhile, it's good to get to know the towns and neighborhoods.
  • imageKellyMRocks:

I live in Walnut Creek, In the northern part of the city with the borders of Pleasant Hill & Lafayette very close by. It's true that downtown can be congested, but I absolutely love it, plus we have a lot of free parking. All 3 cities that you mentioned are really great, but very different, so it is really up to your personal preference.

Have you actually been to the East Bay yet or are you going into this blind, with only internet research?

No, definitely not going into it blindly.  If we move they will put us up in corporate housing for at least 6 months so we would have plenty of time once we are out there to look.  I am just trying to get an idea of how everyone feels about living there.  My husband and I had to go out there last week for him to meet with people and we drove around the east bay a little bit.  It just wasn't enough time to get a good idea of what it's like in those towns.   

• We have lived in Orinda and bought a house in Lafayette last year.  We liked them both but prefer Lafayette because it has more shopping (but not the big box stores as someone mentioned) and because it is much more walk-able than Orinda.  Orinda is beautiful but very hilly and woodsy, so it's difficult if not impossible to take stroller walks in the neighborhood or walk to your local store or library.  There's also not much in terms of stores and restaurants.  Lafayette also has lots of trees but has a fantastic walking trail through town, and more flat streets with sidewalks.  There's a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, and we walk to the library and farmers' market all the time.  Walnut Creek is also great and you get more house for your money, but it doesn't have the small town feel of the other two towns.  Both Orinda and Lafayette are very kid-friendly and kid-focused; there is the Lamorinda Moms club if you want to get more connected to moms in the area.
  • I would prefer to live in the east bay and go to SF then Marin because you have the option of taking BART to work (the train system here). Parking in SF is expensive, and hard not to mention the traffic on the bridge. I commute to SF from the east bay and find it to be pretty easy on BART.

All the areas you listed are nice areas, with parks, recreation, and shopping. Walnut Creek has the most robust downtown area of the places you listed. I think based on your budget you would be able to get a home in any of the areas, with a bit more bang for your buck in WC.

• TopangaTopanga member

I'm a native of the Bay Area but I did a 4 year stint on Long Island and came back to the Bay. I've been back for a year. I can say that Long Island is very different from SF! I know the traffic is really bad so if you can take bart from lamorinda area that would be best. Welcome to the area!

Where did you live on Long Island?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"