Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Pads vs Tampons

I hope this isn't a totally ignorant question, but here it goes: I've been bleeding for 3.5 weeks now, after the use of Cytotec to get things started. It's not nearly as bad as it was last week and no more clots (finally!!) but definitely more than just spotting. I guess it's similar to a regular period now, as far as the heaviness of the flow goes.

I've been using pads this whole time and seriously, cannot stand them anymore. I change them all the time but they are still scratchy and damp and irritating. I'm really tempted to use tampons at least during the day because I'm walking around like I have a freaking stick up my rear or something, so uncomfortable. Went for a run today and almost died from the chafing. Just disgusting, really.

Has anyone used tampons when you get to this point? My doctor didn't specifically say 'no tampons' but I feel like it was assumed since they said to call if I bled through a pad in an hour. I'm thinking they don't want you to use them if you are having clots, so that they don't get stuck and cause an infection---but I think I'm passed that point now.

Just over it, that's all.  I'll ask the doc tomorrow if I have to but thought maybe you girls could help, too.

Re: Pads vs Tampons

• I hear you on the pads.  I hate hate hate them.  I would ask the doctor about the tampons.  I have a diva cup that I hope I can go back to if the bleeding continues for awhile.  It seems like it might be safer since it doesn't absorb, but who knows?  Right now I'm just using liners and changing them every hour because I cannot stand the pads anymore.
    Due 12/20/11 ~ Lost our Muskrat at 9w2d
    4/25/12 ~ Our angel, Persephone James, is here!

• I've always been told to wear pads the whole time, and unfortunately am now on my 5th miscarriage.  I totally hear ya on not being able to stand them anymore.  Just another aspect of miscarriage that totally sucks.
    BFP #1 6/20/06 M/C 9w4days
    BFP #2 12/2/08 M/C 5w4days
    BFP #3 6/9/09 M/C 4w4days
    BFP #4 6/22/10 M/C 8w
    Sept. 2010 DH Dx: chromosomal balanced translocation (4,10){q21,p15}
    BFP #5 5/12/11 M/C 7w1days
    BFP #6 8/6/11 Gavin Knox born 4/12/12!
    BFP #7 10/1/2013 still birth @ 28 weeks following a UBT girl diagnosis
  • Loading the player...
  • EM0704EM0704 member
    I HATE PADS! I had to wear them the entire time but hopefully your dr will let you switch...You've suffered enough!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with a PP, use pantiliners and change them a little more often.  You can't really tell they are there.  I couldn't run in a pad either, I knew it was down there and it was annoying, so I just didn't do it.  I also wanted to say that I passed a large clot at 5 weeks, out of nowhere, with no cramps or anything.  If I had been wearing a tampon, it's hard to say what would have happened.

ME: 31 PCOS - DH: 32 Perfect. 
    TTC #1 started 8.2010. 
    BFP #1 3.2.11Blighted ovum, missed m/c, 4.3.11-6.22.11 Provera

BFP #2 Aug 2011 Clomid 50mg+Met missed m/c found 9w5d | cytotec 10.26.11 
    BFP #3 - CD36 - Jan. 2012 - 100mg Clomid + 2000met-  Baby Boy born 10.06.12 with 1 in a billion CHD. Perfect otherwise. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Open Heart Surgery @ 5 months old.Happy, healthy, and as normal as could be!  We thank God every day.EP/BF for 12.5 months

TTC#2 - November 2012

BFP #4:  O'd on CD25 (Aug. 2014).  DD May 6, 2015. RCS planned.
    Beta@14dpo: 184, 17dpo: 520.  44 hr. doubling time.  p4: 54U/S 8 weeks 1 day, 161 bpm
  • When I had my D&C I hated the pads at first...but then I found Always Infinity pads.  They are like the Cadillac of pads.  The reason why your doc may not allow you to use tampons yet is because it may increase the chance of infection because your cervix may still be dilated too much.

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Justin + Laura 10.18.08
    TTC #1 09.10/Dx PCOS 12.10/BFP #1 12.29.10/EDD 9.10.11/Missed m/c 2.3.11/D&C 2.15.11
    “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”-Kahlil Gibran
    Cycle #1 4.2.11 + Clomid = BFN/Cycle #2 5.9.11 + Clomid + Trigger Shot = TWINS! 
    Walter Allen and Eleanor Joan 1.15.12
    Another baby on the way! 8.25.14

• Even though they are very irritating. I was told to use pads as all tissue and clots can pass through and there is less of a chance of infection with using pads than tampons.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"