Special Needs

*~*Auntie*~*

Regarding the eye post: 

image-auntie-:
Actually this can be a stim activity, along with blinking, keeping one eye shut or even looking at things with her head upside down/sideways.

I didn't realize this could be a stim activity. DS does the blinking quickly while looking up often when he's on the swing or even sometimes when he's eating. And  he has for as long as I can remember looked at people/things with his head sideways. We always thought it was just a cute thing he did. lol  We'd even sometimes "copy" him.  It can be a bit much sometimes though when we're at his school or playing at the park when he tries to get in other kids face and "examine" them like this. Why do ASD kids do this? What are they gaining from it? We always stop the behavior when he's getting in someones face.

Re: *~*Auntie*~*

• Thanks for the advice. I think I need to start a notebook of notes to keep everything straight.

One more question:

Do you have any advice about haircuts? DS is terrified everytime we take him to get a haircut. I always do the social stories and explain that we're going to get his hair trimmed. We go at times when its not busy, I like to give him a few minutes to explore the toys in the salon so he can pick one out to hold during his trim. I think it might be a sensory issue with him. He always cringes when they cut his hair. How can I make it less traumatizing for him. He's had several haircuts and his reaction hasn't improved at all.  Is this a typical reaction for kids with an ASD? (I know he doesn't have a dx yet. His eval with the psychologist is next Monday).

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"