VBAC
Options

Is it safe to get a membrane sweep when trying for a VBAC?

I haven't asked my doctor yet so I actually don't know if she does them or not or if she approves them for a VBAC, but I thought I'd ask, has your doctor mentioned anything about a membrane sweep and its safety? 

I know my doc does not want to medically induce labor due to uterine rupture risk, but is a membrane sweep in the same category?  

Re: Is it safe to get a membrane sweep when trying for a VBAC?

• Options
    iris427iris427 member

I'm guessing there isn't really much solid statistical data on this.  It probably depends on your doctor's comfort zone.  On one hand, it doesn't seem like it would be dangerous.  OTOH, people tend to be pretty conservative about VBAC.

I'd be interested to hear what you doctor says. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Today I had my 37 week appointment and the midwife suggested I have my membranes swept around 39 weeks and she said they were willing to do it to get labor started. I'm sure different providers have different opinions, but it seems at least some are willing to do it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I will be trying for a VBAC and my doctor will be sweeping my membranes at 38 weeks. She has told me it is completely safe for me and baby.
  • Options
    erbearerbear member
    that's what I think put me into labor Wink
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options

Membrane sweep are completely natural and help!  I went into labour the same day I had my S&S.   Pitocin is another story..

• Options

My midwife sweapt my membranes at my 38 week appt (on a Monday) and I was in early labor by Monday night (i.e having contractions but they weren't regular or overly painful) and by Tuesday at 5:30pm I was in active labor and my son was born at 5:25am Wednesday morning (successful VBAC).

My midwives say it's one of those things that if you're body is ready to go into labor membrane stripping might help give it an extra push but if you're not ready it will do nothing and they can always try to strip them again the following week.

Good luck on your upcoming VBAC!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"