D.C. Area Babies
Options

1st bday: donations or presents

And not monetary donations for DS!  haha, although that might be a good idea too Wink 

I'm trying to word his invitation and I don't want to sound presumptuous...

"In lieu of gifts, please bring dog or cat food that will be donated to the Humane Society of AC."  

After I wrote it, it just sounds so...unlike a first birthday party.  I'm thinking maybe we should start doing this next year when he understands more...but then I also don't want to be overwhelmed with a lot of toys.  Is that bad?  Thoughts?  What did you do regarding gifts for your LO's birthday? 

I'm already thinking I might just let it be this year and not state otherwise...I'm open to suggestions.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: 1st bday: donations or presents

• Options
    I know your heart's in the right place, but I don't think you can dictate what guests do for gifts. It's one thing to write "no gifts please," but I don't think you can ask guests to donate to an organization. If people bring gifts that you don't want, you can donate them to a women and children's shelter.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageWinesNotWhines:
    I know your heart's in the right place, but I don't think you can dictate what guests do for gifts. It's one thing to write "no gifts please," but I don't think you can ask guests to donate to an organization. If people bring gifts that you don't want, you can donate them to a women and children's shelter.

Thanks - yes, in writing it out for the invitation maker, I realized just how much like dictating it sounded!  Hence, off to the nest for advice Smile 

And that's good advice about where to donate..

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    LMH1209LMH1209 member
    And, honestly, I like buying birthday presents for kids. Kids are the only people I buy presents for, except for big milestone birthdays for our parents. Let people make their own decisions about gifts, and if you get things you don't want, donate them or sell them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I got an invite for a b-day party asking for donations to a food bank, and found it very strange.  I know it's not uncommon these days... but, it was weird.  Then I felt compelled to buy a present AND food bank donations.
  • Options

People really WANT to bring gifts for a 1st b-day party. What I did for DD's was ask people not to wrap them in order to save the environment. My fave was one friend who used her cloth shopping bag, we took the gift out and I gave the bag back to her.

• Options
    imageSofka:

People really WANT to bring gifts for a 1st b-day party. What I did for DD's was ask people not to wrap them in order to save the environment. My fave was one friend who used her cloth shopping bag, we took the gift out and I gave the bag back to her.

Excellent idea!  I think I remember you mentioning this before on the board.  I'll consider that, but I'll likely just not put anything regarding gifts.  Thanks ladies for the valuable input!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"