Preemies
Options

Oxygen Therapy

My little guy is still requiring oxygen. He's currently still in an isolette and ranges anywhere from 24% to 36%. He holds his body temp very well and there is talk of moving him to crib with a nasal canula. Which type of oxygen therapy is best - canula or oxygen environment?
FYI - he's had regular eye exams and there are no signs of ROP. He's currently 3 lb 15 oz. When I hold him with just blowby oxygen, he does extremely well and high sats. I'm just confused because there is a debate over which is best for him at this point.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Oxygen Therapy

• Options

I don't have any experience with the oxygen environment, but I'm guessing it would be pretty difficult to pull off in a crib. Evan had oxygen by nasal canula at that point and ended up coming home on it as well. It didn't bother him much at all, it was a tube and 2 stickers on his face for a long while. Every kiddo is different, but Evan hasn't had any issues with his eyes so far.

What's the debate about? I'm curious what the pro's and con's you're hearing are.

• Options
    My little guy is still on a cannula.  He doesn't seem to mind it too much.  The only downside is the sticky adhesive cheek circles to hold the cannula in place. 
    TTC with unexplained IF since 8/2007 6 losses, one beautiful perfect boy in our arms Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bhilyerbhilyer member
    imagewitt0198:

I don't have any experience with the oxygen environment, but I'm guessing it would be pretty difficult to pull off in a crib. Evan had oxygen by nasal canula at that point and ended up coming home on it as well. It didn't bother him much at all, it was a tube and 2 stickers on his face for a long while. Every kiddo is different, but Evan hasn't had any issues with his eyes so far.

What's the debate about? I'm curious what the pro's and con's you're hearing are.

To be in OE, he has to stay in the isolette. From reading and pics, it seems like other preemies are on canula in the isolette.
    One of the dr is against canula all together. Believes it can lead to obstruction in the lungs. Another dr said the canula and the constant flow will help my little guy stay off cpap. One nurse said it's easier to warn off oxygen in the OE but another said that in a preemie as old as my son, it's not as big of an issue.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"