3rd Trimester

Preeclampsia-At what point will they want to deliver early?

My doctor noticed my high blood pressure a few weeks ago.  I've been going in twice a week to have my BP checked and an ultrasound to make sure the baby isn't showing signs of stress.  Each appointment, the baby is fine but my bp has been slowly creeping up.  I'm usually around 120/70.  I started showing 140-148 over 70. 

Went to L&D Friday for a horrible migraine and it was 149/96.  It wasn't really going down so they had me lay completely flat on my left side and it immediately went down to 121/70.  No wonder I'm getting headaches..talk about a drastic change.  They took blood and said my kidney and liver enzymes are creeping up and are above normal which is a cause for concern.  This was the first set of blood work I've had done.  They told me to come back immediately if my migraine came back and etc but I see my doctor on Tue.  They said he will probably want to check my blood again and see if my enzymes are continuing to increase.  We already have a csection scheduled for 06/14 since the baby is breech but since my body is personally struggling, I'm wondering if he will want to take the baby sooner. 

Anyone out there currently or have experienced this before?  What specific things is your doctor looking for when making a decision?

Re: Preeclampsia-At what point will they want to deliver early?

• CMM05CMM05 member

I'm going through similar stuff right now, but my BP has been "high" since 28 weeks. I am ranging high 130's/80's and sometimes 140/90's. My OB's would not be that concerned with  your numbers. They are more concerned with the bottom number and anything in the 70's is totally normal.

That being said, they told me that they don't normally deliver unless you are consistently getting readings of 160's/100's, spilling protein and/or having liver issues.

BUT....I'm pretty sure that if I were in your situation and full-term they would deliver.

I have been pretty miserable (hospitalized twice in the past 1.5 weeks.....) and we will be talking about delivery at 37 weeks (my c-section is scheduled for 39 weeks). They found protein in my urine last week with my 24 hour urine catch my BP stabilizes on bedrest, but I pretty much have constant headaches.

GL!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am also dealing with this same thing right now, but I don't know if I have too many answers for you.  I am in the hospital right now....I have had swelling and high blood pressure since 27 weeks. Each week I continue to go to my appointments and they take blood. So far so good....

However, I have been having a headache for the past several days and I came in yesterday morning with a BP of 159/103.  I have been monitored now for almost 24 hours with my BP and taking samples of my urine.  (Technically, they are collecting it every time I go and do one big test in the morning.

They gave me shots of steroids to help develop the baby's lungs because I am almost 35 weeks. At this point they will see what the urine tests in the morning show.  If my numbers are still not good, they will keep me here until delivery. Which would be sooner than later.

What they just keep saying, if this helps is that, it's always a risk benefit.....If we take care of the baby's lungs, at this point they are more concerned with my health.  They really have two patients to think about and want to make sure they do what is right for each. 

I think it really depends on each particular situation and what they really feel is best for both of you.  I don't know if that was any help-If I can help-ask more  questiions!

Good Luck!

• Loading the player...
  • With my DD I developed pre-e at 34 weeks. They told me I could be induced at any time. They got to to 37 weeks(barely) so DD would have more time to develop her lungs. For me the deciding factor was my liver enzymes were up and kidneys showing signs of getting ready to shut down. My bp was also high and not coming down even when laying. At 36 weeks I was admitted for hospital bedrest because of my headache that would not go away(made me a ticking time bomb). It's possible they may take you early but if they can keep your bp down they will probably try and get you as far along as they can to give baby as much time as they can. I learned from experience being 37 weeks does not mean baby is ready as my DD ended up in the NICU. Main things they will watch is bp, your headache, liver enzymes and protein levels. Once all all those go up(headache to the point it won't leave) is when they will probably start telling you any day. I know some doctors if your past 37 weeks will go ahead at anytime just to not even mess with it. 
  • Your bp isn't awful, but the elevated liver enzymes could suggest the onset of HELLP syndrome...which would be a bigger concern, and would probably lead to delivery.  I would think if you are full term and already having a c-section he/she will probably want to deliver pretty soon.  Good luck at your appointment!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersiv>
  • I had pre-e with Lizzie. I was in the hospital for weeks 33-36. In that time, my BP never went below 130/85. Even though it was ok, I still had spikes of 140/100 or higher. Dr. M decided to take Lizzie at 36 wks (the youngest baby my country hospital could handle) because my enzymes were very very slowly creeping up (leading to concerns about HELLP syndrome). I had an amnio and a biophysical profile of Lizzie done. There were no major concerns like IUGR or anything, but since her lungs were mature, they decided not to wait til something was wrong, but to go ahead with a c-section at 36 w 1 d.

hth 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone! I am definitely concerned about my liver and kidney enzymes.  I also started having some flank pain that woke me up and kept me up for a while in the middle of the night.  My headaches are definitely becoming more consistent.  I'll keep you posted after my appointment tomorrow. Good luck to all of you too. I'll definitely keep you and your little ones in my prayers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"