Pre-School and Daycare

Turned in DD's paperwork for PK today!

Also got to meet her teacher, she seems really nice. Also saw some of the kids she'll be in class/school with, very pleased! I wish it was a bit more diverse because I know when she starts real school and also in our friend-group there isn't much diversity at all. Some, but not alot- but it does represent our area so I guess that's to be expected.

Anybody ever worry about lack of cultural diversity as the kids grow up? Never really crossed my mind til now.

Re: Turned in DD's paperwork for PK today!

• jlw2505jlw2505 member
    DH and I bought our house where we did partially because we wanted our kids to have diversity in their lives.  Granted, because the school district we live in has gone down hill and my older DD has needed some special services, we are open enrolling into a different district but the elementary school we have chosen has a lot of diversity.  About 40% of the students at this school are from out of the district and there is a lot of diversity which we love.  And the parents really care about the education which is why there is such a huge open enrollment rate to this school.  In my older DD's PreK class of 20 kids - she has kids of a variety of races, kids that are not just from the US and kids that are of different religions.  I love it.  I have a lot of family that has chosen to send their kids to Jewish Day Schools and to Jewish camps and it drives me nuts - kids need to learn that there are many people in the world and learn all about the different cultures/religions.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I consider myself lucky b/c I was born in mixed race family and I had a real rich upbringing with friends of different cultures and socio-economics.  I love Harm's pre-k b/c it is incredibly diverse as is our mom's group.  This is something that I will pursue through out their education.  For example we are on the wait list for a diversity school (it is through the public school for grades 6, 7, & 8) where 1/2 the day is taught in Spanish and the other 1/2 is taught in English (it is a really neat way for ESL students transitioning and English students to gain Spanish.  I've met 3 kids who went to it and they just did great).  Just being Puerto Rican and living near the border the kids are exposed a lot to Spanish but I want them to be fully fluent (which I'm not quite).  

My husband was really sheltered.  I just think he missed out.  To me it is so important as you grow up to know that this is a big world with different religions, cultures, financial situations, etc.  It teaches understanding and appreciation for others.

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • I just did the paperworkfor DS#1's PreK this past week as well :-)

We are a mixed race family, so diversity was a HUGE thing we looked at.  The school he will be attending is actually not very diverse. He will be in the smallest minority group, but whatever :-P  After PreK we're going to try and get him into a charter school here which is much more diverse. 

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"