3rd Trimester
Options

What are you wearing?

I am unsure of what I'm going to want to wear during laboring..... I plan on going natural so hopefully won't be hooked up to any iv's so I have some options. I was thinking about just a sports bra and some shorts, a super comfy thrift store snap front nightgown, maternity swimsuit. I know I will have access to a standing shower for laboring at the hospital so thought a swimsuit might be good, but I have no clue in reality! Any thoughts ladies? What are you planning on wearing?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What are you wearing?

• Options
    I'm going to wear the hospital gown.  I don't think shorts are very practical.  Maybe a swimsuit top or sports bra if you are modest and want to get in the shower.  I can't imagine taking shorts on and off during labor.
  • Options
    megd06megd06 member

I went natural with DS, and I just wore the hospital gown. i didn't want anything of mine getting messed up, and so I just wore the gown...you're going to bleed, leak, possible crap all over stuff--so don't wear anything you might want to ever wear again. Same goes for underwear after labor--I brought my own, but after one hour in my own pair, and DESTROYING it when I stood up--I just wore those depends-looking undies they provided.

ETA: I plan to use a shower this time around (last hospital I delivered at didn't have one, this hospital does) so I plan to take my tankini, or just buy a cheap 2 piece from Walmart or something.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Most hospitals won't let you wear a bra or underwear when you are in labor.  Anything on the bottom half is not a good idea because they check you so often and you are leaking all kinds of fluids.

Once you are in labor you will not care what you wear or who sees you.  Hospital gowns are the most practical because the hospital takes care of the laundry.

• Options
    The hospital gown.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagetink7227:

Most hospitals won't let you wear a bra or underwear when you are in labor.  Anything on the bottom half is not a good idea because they check you so often and you are leaking all kinds of fluids.

Once you are in labor you will not care what you wear or who sees you.  Hospital gowns are the most practical because the hospital takes care of the laundry.

This may be a stupid question but why won't they let you wear a bra? How does that interfere with. I know my boobs are waay too big to not have a bra on. I didn't deliver at a hospital last time so I'm so clueless on this topic.

• Options
    I wore a bra and took it off after delivery to breastfeed...it was not a problem.
  • Options
    All of the articles of clothing I mentioned are things I don't mind ruining or getting severely messed up. That's why I picked them. Guess I will just bring them all and see what seems best!
  • Options
    imageangelproberts:
    imagetink7227:

This may be a stupid question but why won't they let you wear a bra? How does that interfere with. I know my boobs are waay too big to not have a bra on. I didn't deliver at a hospital last time so I'm so clueless on this topic.

I'm not sure why they have that rule, and not every hospital does.  I couldn't wear one with DD1 but could with DD2.  They were born at different hospitals but in the same city.  Maybe check with your OB/MW and see what they say.  Big boobs isn't something I have a problem with. lol

• Options

The hospital gown - it was fine with my son. Not too hot, easy to be checked during labor (if you are getting checked), easy to pull up when you are pushing, and easy to change afterwards when it's nasty.

The only thing I'm not sure about with the gown is nursing right away - my son was 5 weeks early so I didn't get to nurse him immediately - he went to special care. But I think b/c of the way it ties behind your neck it would be easy to pull one arm out for access to the breast. But I will probably put a soft sleep nursing bra on during or right after labor so I can just take both arms out of the gown to nurse if I want to.

• Options
    I was allowed to wear my bra under the hospital gown.  I had an epi, too, and it probably could have been in the way.  I would have been uncomfortable if they did not let me.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • Options

With DS I wore a tank top and an old foldover skirt. Plan to do the same this time. I was (and am again) GBS+ so I was at the hospital 14 hours before DS was even born. I labored a long time and didn't spend much of that time in bed. I walked the halls, did different positions in my room, got in the tub and I wasn't going to do that in a gown. Gown's make me feel like I'm sick, I just wasn't comfortable. When it came time to get in bed and push, I lost the skirt. My tank got a little yucky when they put DS on my chest but it was an $8 tank, I certainly didn't care.

I was very comfortable and the hospital didn't give me any problem not wearing a gown. Labor sucks (especially natural) and I think everything little bit helps. I felt better in my clothes and the skirt gave easy access to being checked. 

• Options
    I'm just going to wear the hospital gown. They look pretty comfortable and I don't really care what I look like during labor!
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options

I plan to wear whatever they give me at the hospital.  I also plan to go natural but wearing shorts would be pointless.  They're going to be checking me quite often plus all sorts of stuff will be coming out down there, so shorts are completely pointless and will be a total PITA to take off and on. 

I plan to go naked in the shower as I just don't care who sees what at that point.  It'll only be DH and the hospital staff anyway and it's not like he hasn't seen it and they aren't going to.  They might as well get used to it. 

You should also check with your hospital about the IV.  Some require you to have one, regardless of whether you're going natural or not.  If you're not getting something constantly through it, they may be able to tie it off so you can move around freely.  You may also need a specific order from your doctor to keep from getting one.  Same goes for the shower.  At my hospital, I have to get an order from the doctor to allow me to use it during labor, even though they're actually quite pro-natural labor there.  So, ask in advance to make sure you have what you need.

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    Thanks. I have already checked about the IV.
  • Options
    My hospital has maternity/nursing gowns and thats what I'll wear....I'm not messing up my own stuff.  I'm really confused at why one would even consider shorts/bathing suit bottoms.  At my hospital, they would tell you you can't wear them as soon as they admit you...its going to be a PITA for you and them as well as completely pointless
  • Options

I thought that I would wear shorts and a tank....but after reading this , I change my mind.

Hospital gown for me . then my nursing night gown and robe sets for after baby is here.

I still plan on wearing a sports bra in the tub...but no bottoms.

• Options
    redsheredshe member

I just wore the hospital gown with DD and when I went in the shower I didn't have anything one (I couldn't care less if they saw me starkers since they'd be getting a good eye full during the pushing process anyway....plus you don't really think about it when you're in pain)

And this time I'm just going to wear the hospitals gown again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm planning on wearing a hospital gown again this time. I had my bra on last time, I just never took it off!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    most of the time they say no bra with underwire just in case something happens and they have to rush you to the operating room.
  • Options
    I wore a sports nursing bra and the hospital gown with DS1 and thats what I'm planning on this time too.
    Mom to 2 healthy boys, and a baby girl in Heaven. Heard her heartbeat on 7/18, heartbeat was gone on 7/20. Miss you forever.
  • Options
    You will be bare azz on the bottom, no matter what you decide to wear up top. Last time I had my sports bra on and the hosp gown, which I hate and it really grosses me out, so this time I may opt for my own shirt.

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

The hospital gown.

This isn't something I care about and it's actually a rule at my hospital that during labor you need to wear their gown.

After baby is here, it's back to my own comfy clothes for sure though!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"