Pre-School and Daycare

What do you give as kid favors at parties?

Kids eat so much junk food so I don't want to give candy.  Little plastic toys seem like more junk.  So I'm just looking for some creative ideas- what would you want your child to get for a favor at a birthday party?
3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: What do you give as kid favors at parties?

• DS's bday is in March.  We gave all the kids kites.  Everyone loved them.  I got them for $1 each at walmart
  • I like the kites idea!  I usually do something edible, like a cookie wand in the shape of something from the party theme.  Plastic goodie bags create so much trash and everything in them ends up in the trash or the vacuum cleaner, so I'm no fan of that stuff, either.  Even a book would be awesome if you can find some affordable ones!
  • Loading the player...
  • JillAlyJillAly member

Someone just gave us a kite (proabbly the dollar kite) and I agree- I thought it was a great gift- but the same kids will be at our party so I can't really do it this year. 

I love the book idea - if I can find something good in the price range.  Keep the ideas coming!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again

• PeskyPesky member

*  books -- $1 bin always carries some

*  art stuff:  coloring book and crayons, sidewalk chalk, stickers, etc.

*  bubbles

*  edible things:  fun sugar cookies, cupcakes.  A friend gave out mini bundt cakes and those went over big. 

*  plant -- vegetable or flower

*  plain old ball

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• On the same lines of the plant, a little flower pot with a packet of seeds would be sweet. My DD loves those. :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • I don't like favors. Mostly it's just junk that my kids don't need, or falls apart (if it's from oriental trading or a dollar store), etc.

I give out $5 giftcards. Typically to Barnes & Noble. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Last year my son had a Batman birthday so I went to a local cookie shop and they did large sugar cookies with the Batman logo on them.  I wrapped them in cute bags with personalized thank you's on them.  They were adorable.  I like these because we have kids of all ages because we have one huge party with his friends and our family - so even the older kids appreciate a good sugar cookie.  I think there are photos in my supermom blog. 
  • jlw2505jlw2505 member
    My fav thing that we got at a party was a book.  One DD got a coloring book that fit the theme of the party.  I did water bottles once and they were a huge hit.  I'm struggling with what to do for my DD's 5th b-day in a few weeks.  Thinking I'll do something along the lines of books, kites or a cool ball for outside.  I might stick a small package of Skittles into the bag since its my DD's favorite but I won't do more that as far as candy.  I would love to do something creative like homemade cupckaes but honestly, I don't have that much time and too many of my DD's friends have food allergies and wouldn't be able to eat them.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • JillAlyJillAly member

I really love the seeds and flower pot idea and the $5 gift card to Barnes and Noble.  Now I have to decide which one to do. 

They were all great suggestions- thanks ladies.  You're the best!

• This year I had a broad age range of kids, so everybody got individualized bags. The 4th grader got a notebook and colorful pens, the 1st grader got a set of suncatchers to paint and the baby got a package of Gerber snacks and a CD of kids songs. Everybody got a straw that fit the party's theme. Last year, I also gave out mini erasers (they sell them at Michael's and other stores for about $1).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS's birthday party was last weekend and we got the kids board games based on their ages.  It was Toy Story themed, so the 6 year old got Buzz Lightyear Operation (Wal-mart had it on sale for $5!!), the 5 year olds got Toy Story Connect 4 and the 3 year old got Toy Story Memory.  The kids and parents loved them!

• Last year I gave cds. We had a monkey themed party and so I made cds of "music to monkey around". Fun!

This year we have a farm theme. I bought these: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RedElmDesigns (tractor ones). They are SO cute!

I think that party favors are over rated and not needed. But I dont want to be the only person who doesnt send them! So I try to go cheap, cute, and fun!

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Also wanted to add that JoAnn Fabrics always has cool stuff. Craft kits for $1!

On Etsy I almost got soaps in the shapes of farm animals. I thought that was a super cute idea!

Another Etsy find.... cake pops! I found farm ones but they were expensive so we vetoed that!

:)

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I never really do favors. We do a huge pool party and not too many young kids come.

Plus I agree about the junky trinket goodie bags.... they always get thrown away!

• I've actually never done favors, or received them for DS but for our 3 y/o's last birthday all the kids decorated a small pumpkin to take home.  We'll probably do something similar this fall also.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I am notorious for giving too much but the stuff is so cute and I am a type a planner so I buy stuff gradually. 

DS is turning 3 in July and his favors will be toy story themed to go with the party.

1) metal buckets with TS characters from target $1 spot

2) TS self inking hand stampers

3) silly bands TS of course

4) Sunglasses-oriental trading

5) TS stickers 

6) TS fruit snacks

7) lollipop-oriental trading

other ideas:

mini play doh containers

bubbles

side walk chalk

bubble wands they come with the dish for the bubbles and the long stick like wands they have them at target $1 spot here and mini ones can be purchased in a bulk set on oriental trading. DS loves his.

crayons

Temp tattoos

stickers 

That's all I got right now.  

Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"