February 2011 Moms
Options

So who's feeding their 4 month olds cereal??

Bella is 4 months old today and idk if we should start cereal or not? I kind of feel like...well why not, but then I'm like...well why? Lol.....Everything says 4-6 months. When is everyone else starting?
Nicole, Mommy to baby Jordan Santiago born 3-31-06 and Isabella Grace born 1/28/2011 image
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: So who's feeding their 4 month olds cereal??

• Options

I personally wouldn't start without talking to your pedi first.  If they say okay, I think cereal is fine.  Personally I am waiting until 6 mths to start solids since the rec keeps changing between 4-6 but is always by 6mth.  I would rather wait that bit longer.  We are starting to offer a little bit of rice cereal now at 4 mths because he's got reflux and that might help him feel better.  We've only done it once so far and he still has a strong tongue thrust reflex so we'll wait a week or two to try again.  All other food will be starting a 6 mths.

It seems to be a really personal decision, lots of people want to hurry up and start, plenty of people want to wait.  Talk to your pedi and decide what you prefer to do.

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • Options

No idea. My 2nd child wasn't even ready at 6 months, she didn't want anything but bewb  juice til she was 7 months. If your baby enjoys it, fine, but there's no nutritional value to rice cereal and I don't plan on giving her tester bites til she's 6 months.

You can always give her tester bites and see how she likes it... If not, then you're saving money for the next 2 months.

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We tried earlier for reflux, but it did not work out. My ped recommended starting in a few weeks. We may try it and see how it goes. All other solids we will not start until 6 months.
    image     image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

image    image

• Options
    I have already given DS some cereal already for his reflux. In the first two feedings his tounge just pushed everything out but now he is learning to take it down and does this smacking it down thing. He has also opened his mouth to let me put food in it so he must be getting it. People get bucky about feeding prior to 6 months but I have seen no discomfort because of it and his bowel movements have actually improved. I already have sweet potatoes and squash pureed in the freezer so I figure we will start that within the next week or two.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't feel the need to start anything other than breastmilk anytime soon.  I plan to wait till 6 months for anything else, unless the pedi feels strongly that I start before then.
  • Options
    The Doc actually gave me the ok at 2 months but we are waiting till 4.. I cant wait,she has been so curious about food.. We will be starting in about 2 weeks :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
  • Options
    We're not there yet...I am waiting til his 4 month appt to see what the pedi says. Not starting anything before they tell me to!
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options
    bmp84bmp84 member

We started the day after she turned 4 months. Because of her reflux, the pedi was suggesting a little in her bottles at 2 months, but being on the Enfamil AR was basically the same thing, so we didn't start until last week.

She is LOVING it. She had started getting fussy watching us eat and if you ate with her on your lap, she'd open her mouth every time you'd get a spoonful of something anywhere near her. Being able to do fruits/veggies has really helped the constipation issues we've been having with the Enfamil AR.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

At 12 weeks we tried to put cereal into her bottle but she didn't like it that much.  I also tried 1 time to feed her a little to help with reflux.  Now at 14 weeks we have a prescription for reflux that is NASTY tasting.  We are giving it to her and then giving her a small amount of cereal, carrots or bananas... she prefers the carrots and will take the medications very easy with them.  At first she didn't get the tongue motion but we learned to put the food on the top of her mouth and she pulls it back fine. 

We also started noticing her staring at us about a week ago and getting fussy when we ate our meals.  In the past week she is also opening her mouth wanting food. 

And by the way - with the food and meds the reflux is almost gone.  She is not screaming bloody murder when we burp her and yesterday I never had to change her cloths!!!! (we were going through 5-6 outfits on her and a few of our own daily) When she does spit up its thicker too so its not like vomit or projectile.  Her bowels are even better though she never really had much problems that mylicon didn't relieve. 

2nd EDD 02/01/13 - MC 5 1/2 weeks 6/5/12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm also going to talk to my pedi. I think she is ready for it, but I want the ok first. She is a big baby (not fat, but just overall big), and she is literally eating about 6 oz every 2-3 hours, closer to 2 (except at night), and I think she could use a little more substance. Not to mention she is always staring at me as I eat, and I feel bad that I am eating in front of her lol :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"