Parenting after 35
Options

Intro to Potty - when??

Just curious when do you start to introduce the idea of the potty?  I was out with SIL this w/e and she said they started at 12 months! with their daughter, which just seems SO early to me. 
Me-38, DH - 48 | DD born 3/17/10 | BFP 4/29/11 - M/C 5/31/11 Blighted Ovum | BFP 12/18/11 CP - 12/27/11 | Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Intro to Potty - when??

• Options
    PeskyPesky member
    I usually wait until there is genuine interest and when LO can tell when he/she pooped.  Start #1.  I try not to push it though because that can backfire in a major way.  DD was almost 3 by the time she was PTed but once she did it, it just clicked and she got it, unlike prior attempts.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

We just got a potty a couple of weeks ago.  Margaux says "poop" now, and if I ask her if she's pooping or peeing or has pooped or peed, she answers yes or no.  It's not always the correct answer, but she definitely understands the question.

We don't push it, I just ask her if she feels like trying to use the potty now and then. 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I wish I had started at a year. Sienna is pretty stubborn. I give diaper-free time every day & sometimes she does go in it, other times she yells peepee as she's peeing..in her underwear.

I think when you start early, it's to get them in the habit of sitting there & actually making something in the potty. Wether their muscles are developed or not for control, you want them to associate pee or poo with the potty. I think it's actually harder to try to get a 22 month old to sit still. There is too much to do, who has patience to sit on a potty?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagePesky:
    ...try not to push it though because that can backfire in a major way.
      I've heard this can happen.  You definitely don't want to push it. 

No personal experiencing potty-training a LO of my own, but I do remember when my brothers were potty trained.  The first one was easy: my mom started with #1 and hand to God, a coffee can.  My brother liked the noise it made when he peed, lol.  I don't remember how old he was.  My 2nd brother was a little late to the potty training party.  I do remember he didn't accept it until he was maybe 3.  LOL, I remember he would actually assist in his diaper changes at that stage--he would take the dirty diaper off, lift himself up & put the fresh diaper underneath himself, and just lay there & wait for you to fasten it for him, lol.  Pretty smart, if you ask me. In hindsight, he probaby knew exactly what he was doing Big Smile

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

We are going to into the potty this weekend.  She has started to let us know sometimes when she is wet or dirty. I have been letting her go in the bathroom with me.  I think it totally depends on the child.  My oldest was trained at 20 mths, my second was at 2 1/2 yrs and the third was right at 2 years. 

• Options
    I agree with not pushing it.  We started closer to 3.  Of course we'd have started earlier if they had shown interest earlier.
  • Options
    Ellie used to like to come into the bathroom with me starting around the time was about a year old or maybe a little older.  I think it was more because she didn't want to let me out of her sight for a few months there, but I always let her because I figured it didn't hurt for her to see what happens.  Then as she got close to 18 months we bought her a little potty and just told her what it was and let her get interested in it by herself.  She would ask to sit on it from time to time and I would let her.  Nothing ever happened but again, I figured it couldn't hurt anything and hey, if something did happen I could make a big deal out of it.  But she ended up not potty training until she was nearly 3.  She probably could have done it earlier but being pregnant and tired and then having a newborn, I wasn't up for it until then.  The first time we tried we pushed it hard and she resisted, so we backed down and gave it another shot a few weeks later and voila!  She figured it out so fast and never looked back, it ended up being super easy. 
    Eleanor Paige, born 3/27/08 Noah Christopher, born 10/2/10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    RaeAntRaeAnt member
    So far, DS has been joining DH & I in the bath room. He comes in, tried to peer into the toilet as we are sitting there. Then when we are done, we tell him what we've done, he examines it and then flushes and waves bye-bye. In the next week or so, we plan on getting him his own potty. Today we think he did the typical boy thing of grabbing his penis through his diaper when he peed. We were with friends at the time and the friend's mother noticed it as well and mentioned it. SO we'll start with sitting him on it around the times he normally does his business. the actual training will probably not take place until the fall since I'll be watching an 11 month old this summer. There is no way, I'm going to be able to try to train DS while also taking care of the other LO.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"