Military Families

AF recruiter coming this week.

So, DH is pretty sure he's going to go for it. (I'm only concerned about how my mom is going to react and our DD being away from her so much more than the other two grandkids are. And what to do about holidays.) Anyway, what last minute advice do you have? What are some more questions we should ask? We have only gotten to speak with the assistant recruiter, who was VERY helpful. Because we do not have an office in our town, the recruiter will be coming to our house while he is in our area. I know the house should be clean, but is there anything else? I guess I'll need to make babysitting arrangements for DD. Should DH wear anything in particular? His everyday attire includes cargo shorts, t-shirt, and two earrings (which I know aren't allowed at most times). I know it isn't really an interview, but I like to make good impressions.

Is security forces one of those "suck you in" jobs? DH has a background in criminal justice. So when he mentioned transferring credits to the community college, the assistant said it would be pretty easy to get a job in security forces.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: AF recruiter coming this week.

• My brother learned the hard way that you need to make sure everything they are promised is in their contract.  If it isn't, it probably isn't going to happen.
    m/c @ 6 weeks - March 2013 
    m/c @ 5 weeks - April 2013 
    m/c @ 7 weeks - December 2013, D & C 12/27/2013 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Don't stress too much at this point about meeting the recruiter.  I wouldn't wear any inappropriate/ripped clothing and I'd take the earrings out, but he probably wouldn't come to your house if he wasn't interested in your H as a potential recruit already.  It's probably also a good idea to get a sitter for an hour or two so you can both focus on the discussion with the recruiter.

Take everything the recruiter says with a grain of salt.  While there are fabulous recruiters, and my H had a good one, their goal is to get a certain number of recruits each month/year so some may sugarcoat things.  Nothing will happen for your H unless it's explicitly in his contract (signing bonus, college credits, jobs, etc.) no matter what the recruiter says.  He will deploy no matter what his job is so don't believe a recruiter if he says otherwise.

Has your H taken the ASVAB test or gone to MEPS?  My H took the ASVAB and did MEPS a separate day.  It's more of a PITA and the recruiter didn't like it too much b/c it may be wasting his time (if my H hadn't continued with the process) but my H was more comfortable taking the ASVAB, finding out his score, understanding what jobs he may be eligible for, and then going to MEPS and swearing in vs. possibly rushing the process and getting stuck in a job he didn't want.

GL to you and your H!  Joining the AF is one of the best decisions my H ever made.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks. He won't be bringing any kind of contract to this first meeting, right? DH hasn't taken the ASVAB, that we can remember. But I was told the recruiter would set that up. I will tell DH about maybe getting his scores back before MEPS and see what he thinks. When does signing the contract occur? He has some weight to lose before he can enlist, but he's working on it.

Any insight on the security forces jobs? I know there are some stateside, abroad, and on deployment.

• Unless they've changed it Air Force Boot camp is only 6 weeks....they have the shortest boot camp out of all the branches, even the coast guard boot camp is longer.

As for his ASVAB...the Recruiter will set up that test for him....if you want to talk about the test  before he goes to MEPS make sure the recruiter knows that because some of them will schedule both in the same day. 

Be prepared to have him gone for a night when he does go to MEPS....it's policy for potential recruits to stay in a hotel the night before and they all go to MEPS as a big group.  It's rare when this does not happen.  He'll go through a physical and mental screening and if he passes he will then move on to talk about jobs.  This is when his ASVAB comes into play.

I'm not 100% sure about the airforce but if the security jobs are anything like the Military Police(Marines) or the Master at Arms(Navy) the job will differ depending where he is stationed.  He could do anything from doing gate guard duty(checking ID's of people who come on base) to doing base patrols in a security vehicle.

The signing of the contract happens AT MEPS....so after his physical is done, his mental assessment is done and he's pick out his job, he'll sign a contract and oath in.  This will be an ALL day event so don't expect him home until after 6pm.

Also be prepared for him to also be gone for A school...basically they will send him to school for whatever job he picks and most likely they WON'T allow you to go with him.

Also one last thing....if he's just a dad over weight they'll tape him and if he meets body fat % standards they'll clear him to go.  They usually a little lien-ant on weight because you'll definitely loose it in boot camp from all the exercise they make you do.

Hope this info helps!

• imagePhotoFan:

Unless they've changed it Air Force Boot camp is only 6 weeks....they have the shortest boot camp out of all the branches, even the coast guard boot camp is longer. AF BMT is 8.5 weeks now.

Also be prepared for him to also be gone for A school...basically they will send him to school for whatever job he picks and most likely they WON'T allow you to go with him.  The AF calls it Tech School.  They will pay for you (his dependents) to join him at Tech School if it's over a certain amount of weeks (20?  24?  I can't remember) but you can move near him and live off base on your own dime if you want.  I did.  Your H will be very busy/stressed during Tech School though so don't go with the wrong expectations.

I can't answer you very certainly about Sec Forces as my H does not do this job and I don't know anyone firsthand who does.  Unofficially, I'd agree that PhotoFan's description of what the Marine's Military Police do sounds about right for the Air Force's Security Forces.
  • imageGracieLou Freebush:
    imagePhotoFan:

Unless they've changed it Air Force Boot camp is only 6 weeks....they have the shortest boot camp out of all the branches, even the coast guard boot camp is longer. AF BMT is 8.5 weeks now.

Also be prepared for him to also be gone for A school...basically they will send him to school for whatever job he picks and most likely they WON'T allow you to go with him.  The AF calls it Tech School.  They will pay for you (his dependents) to join him at Tech School if it's over a certain amount of weeks (20?  24?  I can't remember) but you can move near him and live off base on your own dime if you want.  I did.  Your H will be very busy/stressed during Tech School though so don't go with the wrong expectations.

I can't answer you very certainly about Sec Forces as my H does not do this job and I don't know anyone firsthand who does.  Unofficially, I'd agree that PhotoFan's description of what the Marine's Military Police do sounds about right for the Air Force's Security Forces.

I thought Boot Camp was 8-8.5 weeks. The brochure they gave us says 6. I've found some conflicting info about it; so, I guess one of them just hasn't been updated. As far as DD and I moving, he will probably be solo until he gets stationed (or after) because I will graduate May 2012. It would just be easier for me to stay here and finish then join him at whatever base. If for some reason we need to sell/move out of our house, I have family here that I can live with.

Is there anywhere to finde the body fat % rates?

• imageRandiDeeAnn:
    imageGracieLou Freebush:
    imagePhotoFan:

I thought Boot Camp was 8-8.5 weeks. The brochure they gave us says 6. I've found some conflicting info about it; so, I guess one of them just hasn't been updated. As far as DD and I moving, he will probably be solo until he gets stationed (or after) because I will graduate May 2012. It would just be easier for me to stay here and finish then join him at whatever base. If for some reason we need to sell/move out of our house, I have family here that I can live with.

Is there anywhere to finde the body fat % rates?

Every branch is different as far as how long boot camp is....like I said before I am pretty sure AF boot camp is 6 weeks....Navy boot camp is 9 weeks, Marine boot camp is 12 weeks...I'm unsure of the Army and Coastguard.

The way they will determine body fat for a male is they will measure his waist and his neck.  They will then minus the neck size from the waist size and that's your Male body fat % number.  If you want to get an estimate just buy a sewing tape measure from the store and tape him yourself.  The max body fat he can be is 20% if under the age of 30 and 24% if over the age of 30.

Example: Waiste size 36 Neck size 18

36-18= 18% body fat.  This link I found this info at was here:

https://www.military.com/military-fitness/air-force-fitness-requirements/air-force-height-and-weight-charts.

• At least that gives us something to go on. He still needs to get on that workout recommendation! LOL.
  • I promise BMT is 8.5 weeks now.  Link

Randi, I don't see anything about body fat percentages but this is some other info I came across while looking for proof of the above and it discusses waist measurement (abdominal circumference) and the other physical requirements necessary for graduating BMT. Link

I also think you're smart for planning to stay put with your DD until you graduate and he's stationed somewhere.

HTH.

• Just be cleaned up for a recruiter -- you dont have to wear anything in particular, but dont stay in your jammies and not shower lol.. Security Forces is deployed A LOT -- Every job has its on risks and rewards -- Security Forces is supposedly like a fraternity -- lots of young kids with poor asvaps that want to be cops (dont hate me this is what DH said who is AF) BUT there are a lot of people who get high asvaps that just want to be cops -- you have a very diverse following in  security forces.

You will be shocked after DH comes back from basic -- mine was so thin I thought I might break him lol. Its fun going and watching them graduate. GL! <3<3

Married November 2007
    DH became a double above knee amputee with traumatic brain injury (TBI) - July 2009
    TTC - August 2009 DX: Severe MFI & TF due to TBI
    DH SA 0 count, started clomid therapy - November 2010
    DH SA 0 count, increased clomid dosage - January 2011
    DH SA 75 million with 60% motility!! - May 2011
    IVF with ICSI ONLY OPTION - May 2011
    3dt of 2 Grade A 8&7 cell embryos May 19, 2011
    +HPT May 30 2011 -- Memorial Day!
    Beta #1 = 34 Beta #2 = 101.8 Beta #3 = 603!
    Expecting beautiful Eden Grace February 7, 2012!
    I don't believe that God ever tells us "no". he has three options. Yes, not right now, or I have something better in mind. We just have to wait & see. BabyFetus Ticker
    imagePhotoFan:

Yes this! AND DHs Tech school was 7 months long so I was allowed to move there once he was  at the phase where he was allowed to live off base -- but I dont imagine security forces tech school is that long -- DH is an IA/Intel so theirs is pretty long.

Married November 2007
    DH became a double above knee amputee with traumatic brain injury (TBI) - July 2009
    TTC - August 2009 DX: Severe MFI & TF due to TBI
    DH SA 0 count, started clomid therapy - November 2010
    DH SA 0 count, increased clomid dosage - January 2011
    DH SA 75 million with 60% motility!! - May 2011
    IVF with ICSI ONLY OPTION - May 2011
    3dt of 2 Grade A 8&7 cell embryos May 19, 2011
    +HPT May 30 2011 -- Memorial Day!
    Beta #1 = 34 Beta #2 = 101.8 Beta #3 = 603!
    Expecting beautiful Eden Grace February 7, 2012!
    I don't believe that God ever tells us "no". he has three options. Yes, not right now, or I have something better in mind. We just have to wait & see. BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMyHusbandMyHero:
    imageGracieLou Freebush:
    imagePhotoFan:

Yes this! AND DHs Tech school was 7 months long so I was allowed to move there once he was  at the phase where he was allowed to live off base -- but I dont imagine security forces tech school is that long -- DH is an IA/Intel so theirs is pretty long.

I guess the AF is different because I know that Navy does not let you move with your spouse to A school unless it's like a 1 or 2 year school like Nuke's school.....and not very many Military schools are that long.  If it's less than a year you're out of luck.  Also I went to boot camp like 11 years ago so it might be an old school rule too hehe

I think your plan of waiting until you graduate is a smart decision anyway and you can always visit your DH using MAC flights.

I promise BMT is 8.5 weeks now.  Link

Randi, I don't see anything about body fat percentages but this is some other info I came across while looking for proof of the above and it discusses waist measurement (abdominal circumference) and the other physical requirements necessary for graduating BMT. Link

I also think you're smart for planning to stay put with your DD until you graduate and he's stationed somewhere.

HTH.

I found my proof on Military.com so I'm sure it's pretty accurate Smile

• DH and I both have USAF Security Forces experience. DH has been a cop for over 13 years and I was for 7 prior to a crosstrain.

Honestly, unless he's extremely interested in the field, I'd encourage him to look at another career field. SF is pretty evenly split between people who love it and wouldn't trade it for the world, and people who were shoved there because they made the mistake of coming in without a guaranteed job.

He needs to keep in mind that it's not just "cop" duties - they also do security, which varies between infantry-type work and sitting on the flightline babysitting planes for 14 hours, and gate duty, which has got to be the shittiest job in the Air Force. There are also 2 subsets of the SF field, which are CATM (weapons instructors) and working dog handlers.

The career field istelf is one of the most highly deployed in the USAF, although that varies from person to person and base to base. It's also chronically undermanned, which is why recruiters LUUUUUURVE it when someone mentions cop work or a criminal justice background.

As for easy to get into SF, it's got one of the lowest ASVAB score requirements, so yeah, it's easy. It's also where they put the morons who can't qualify for anything else, and then they give them semi-automatic rifles, leave them on the flightline for 14 hours and tell them not to fall asleep. Awesome, no?

I know I'm not really selling it here, but I just hate to see people coming into SF thinking they're going to be doing exclusively law enforcement and then they're stuck with everything else that comes with SF. DH and I both loved it, and DH still does. The difference is that we really felt a calling to it, we didn't just choose it randomly.

Either way, he needs a guaranteed job when he signs his contract, or chances are very good he'll get his chance to experience SF. Tech school is 18 weeks now, I believe.

Page me if you have any other questions. GL!

• imagePhotoFan:
    imageGracieLou Freebush:

I promise BMT is 8.5 weeks now.  Link

HTH.

I found my proof on Military.com so I'm sure it's pretty accurate Smile

I didn't say it wasn't.  You were incorrect on the length of AF BMT so, while I was searching for something that stated the new length, I ran across the second link with some more physical fitness info that I posted for the OP.  I'm sure your military.com link regarding body fat percentages is also correct.

• Thank you all so much! I thought that SF might have been a "big seller" for the recruiters, but to be fair, DH did mention his criminal justice training first. He is leaning against that just because of the really long hours. I know all military jobs will require sacrifices, but he didn't like the way this setup sounded. He's still keeping it in mind. He's just not sold. I think I've convinced him to take the ASVAB and get the scores back before we decide. He is really ready to get this process going, though. So if they'll take him "as is" (LOL), I'm sure he'd be ready to leave ASAP!

P.S. Thanks for the compliments about my decision to stay behind for a while. It just really made me feel good. I'm gonna need tips about breaking the news to my parents! How often does anyone get to go "back home"? Or actually make it home for any holidays (aside from deployments)? Just wondering what we are looking at.

• imageRandiDeeAnn:

P.S. Thanks for the compliments about my decision to stay behind for a while. It just really made me feel good. I'm gonna need tips about breaking the news to my parents! How often does anyone get to go "back home"? Or actually make it home for any holidays (aside from deployments)? Just wondering what we are looking at.

Just continue to put a positive spin on it and stay upbeat with them when discussing it and they'll eventually come around. 

Does it suck that we live far from our families?  Yes.  Would we have the life we have without the AF?  No.  So for that, I am very thankful.

Airmen get 30 days of paid leave each year.  The ease of taking leave and how long you can be gone vary with each job.  You definitely take leave/vacation when it's convenient for the AF though and not when it's necessarily convenient for you. 

Your H should be able to take some leave and/or do RAP (Recruiter's Assistance Program) after Tech School before he heads to his first base which will allow him to be back "home" for a couple weeks and help you move to your first base.  He'll just have to arrange it with his recruiter after he graduates BMT. 

For example, my H went to BMT for 2 months and then to Tech School for 5 months.  He then combined some leave with RAP and we spent 3 weeks in our home state before traveling to our first base.  Now that he's here, he is not allowed to take leave until he's "rated" in his job which takes about a year...this is entirely based on his job and this base and varies for other Airmen with other jobs and/or at other bases.  He will continue to accrue the paid leave even though he can't take it and he loves his job so it hasn't really been a sacrifice.  I did go home for a week last month without him to visit which may also be an option for you and your LO.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"