February 2011 Moms

Nursing trial by fire

So we were out ALL day yesterday at the children's museum and lunch/dinner with my SIL/BIL/niece/nephew.  DH and I wore DS in the wrap/bjorn most of the day, and since we were out so long, we had to NIP 4 different times.  It was a LOT of nursing in public, especially since I've never nursed outside of my car or a nursing room/changing room before and most of these were right out in the open.  I wore my cover and easy shirts to nurse in, so I think I've gotten the hang of it.  And thankfully, I didn't get any bad looks or weird comments at any place.  I think after doing it that many times and it being so easy in the end, I will be much more apt to head out of the house and not plan my life so much around his eating times.  Lol, only took me almost 4 months to figure that out :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nursing trial by fire

• I'm glad you had a good experience!  I'm still not a fan of NIP... I just prefer to do it on my couch haha.  I guess I'll continue to plan my life around feedings for now :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm glad you had a good experience. I think it's wonderful to see women NIP and I so rarely do!
    IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I loved NIP. The more women do it, the more "acceptable" it is
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I get wierd looks if I even nurse in my own house (by my bff who has boob issues, apparently) while being covered up.  I have no idea how people tackle NIP so well!  I need lessons!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageAviee:
    I get wierd looks if I even nurse in my own house (by my bff who has boob issues, apparently) while being covered up.  I have no idea how people tackle NIP so well!  I need lessons!
    Honestly I was really nervous at first but no one seemed to notice/care and at one point people seemed to look relieved because he was crying and he stopped when I began to nurse him.
  • Shanin8Shanin8 member
    Aww, so glad it went well for you!  I have been NIP since about 4 weeks and the first time, I was so nervous I about died!  I had sweat dripping down my back.  Once he latched and I looked around, I saw that nobody paid any attention to us!  Each time it has gotten easier and more comfortable.  Last week, I was at a restaurant and was discretely nursing him.  A table of about 6 high school girls obviously noticed him nursing because one by one they glanced over.  They weren't being immature or laughing, just curious.  I felt great knowing that maybe someday they will be comfortable with it.  Like the PP poster said, the more that people do it, the more accepted it will be!
  • I've NIP plenty of times and am not bothered by rude looks, if I get any. For the most part, I only get comments from other mothers who say they wished they could have nursed their baby(/ies) and they thought I was doing great. I'm so good now I can have her under the nursing cover held in one arm, and be paying for groceries with the other. Most people just think she's asleep under there until they hear the little gulps!
    CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • imageTiffanyTheMom:
    I've NIP plenty of times and am not bothered by rude looks, if I get any. For the most part, I only get comments from other mothers who say they wished they could have nursed their baby(/ies) and they thought I was doing great. I'm so good now I can have her under the nursing cover held in one arm, and be paying for groceries with the other. Most people just think she's asleep under there until they hear the little gulps!

You have to be super talented or have major arm strength to be able to nurse while walking around... I don't know if I have the guts to try that one yet, maybe in the future :) 

• Good job! Im not so worried about NIP, but if I can avoid it then I go that route with pumping a bottle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"