Food Allergy

*nancyandnate

I saw below that your LO is allergic to dogs.  Has the allergist suggested that you get rid of your dog?

My daughter was mildly allergic (blood test was a 3) at three months old when she was initially tested, but at 9 months her blood test was 62 for saliva and over 100 for dander.  The allergist called me himself and said, "Get that dog out of the house now!" 

It was seriously the hardest thing I have ever had to do.  That was back in October.  I am still grieving for it.  I miss my dog so much.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: *nancyandnate

• OMG.  That would be so heart breaking!  

The allergist said that would be the best thing, but also said as an alternative we could make sure the dog is never in DS's room, keep the door closed at all times, run an air purifier in there, minimize surfaces for the dander to stick to, etc.  His initial score was around a 2 (at six months) and it has come down a little bit since then, so we thought we'd try to do all the things to lessen the impact and see how he does.  

He does pretty well with our dog.  The only time he gets rashy is when our dog licks him and we don't wash the spot off right away.  When he is around other people's dogs, he gets more rashy.  I feel very fortunate it is working out ok so far and that he isn't so allergic that we absolutely had to get rid of the dog.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"