Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Counseling Session #1

DH and I saw a counselor yesterday afternoon.....Eventhough DH had told them WHY we needed to see a counselor (2 m/c this year) when he called to make the appt. she thought we were there for marriage counseling. I could tell by the questions she asked us...She didn't realize until both of us had answered her "why do you think you need counseling? why are you here?" questions that we don't have any marriage issues YET. We are seeking help in learning to deal with what we've been through and what we might have to face with the loss of our little babies. I guess I was pretty frustrated when we left because I thought she would have been informed about our situation before she wasted a whole session asking us the wrong questions. But I'm sure it was beneficial to her to hear about our marriage and how we communicate and things like that...I just wish we would have gotten down to questions about this particular issue and how we are dealing with it. Am I missing something here? What can I expect next week?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Counseling Session #1

• Sorry for your frustrating session. I've found and so have some other friends that sometimes you have to trial and error with counselors find one that's right for you. I'd give her another shot and if you're not happy with her see if you can switch.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • EM0704EM0704 member
    imageyogiwannabmom:

Sorry for your frustrating session. I've found and so have some other friends that sometimes you have to trial and error with counselors find one that's right for you. I'd give her another shot and if you're not happy with her see if you can switch.

Maybe she'll be okay since she knows now why we're seeing her! Ha ha ha...I hope so! But you're right, we'll have to find another one if not!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi EM0704

I'm glad you were able to find a counselor! Most counselors start with an initial session to find out why you want therapy. This is pretty standard. The first session is usually lots of questions to help the therapist get a really good understanding of what your expectations are. Now that she knows, hopefully she will help you guys move forward! The next session may be a time when she wants to meet with each of you separately or she may continue to meet with you together. There are going to be lots more questions, she is going to want to find out as much as possible about your needs. Be patient, therapy is a process.

I agree with PP though, if you don't feel like she is a good fit, try someone else. I've seen 3 different therapists in my life. Only 1 was a good fit for my needs. It's kind of like shopping for jeans. You have to try on a couple of pairs before you get the right fit.

Good luck with your next session! 

Missed miscarriage D&C May 2011, Missed miscarriage D&C October 2011 Expecting a baby girl in 2013!
  • imagebesoul:

Hi EM0704

I'm glad you were able to find a counselor! Most counselors start with an initial session to find out why you want therapy. This is pretty standard. The first session is usually lots of questions to help the therapist get a really good understanding of what your expectations are. Now that she knows, hopefully she will help you guys move forward! The next session may be a time when she wants to meet with each of you separately or she may continue to meet with you together. There are going to be lots more questions, she is going to want to find out as much as possible about your needs. Be patient, therapy is a process.

I agree with PP though, if you don't feel like she is a good fit, try someone else. I've seen 3 different therapists in my life. Only 1 was a good fit for my needs. It's kind of like shopping for jeans. You have to try on a couple of pairs before you get the right fit.

Good luck with your next session! 

I agree with all of this.  I also want you to remember it gets worse before it gets better...talking about your feelings can leave you feeling raw, numb, or even more upset than you thought you were.  But like PP said, it is a process.  

Justin and I attended our first counseling appointment this morning.  Best of luck to you on this journey!! 

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Justin + Laura 10.18.08
    TTC #1 09.10/Dx PCOS 12.10/BFP #1 12.29.10/EDD 9.10.11/Missed m/c 2.3.11/D&C 2.15.11
    “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”-Kahlil Gibran
    Cycle #1 4.2.11 + Clomid = BFN/Cycle #2 5.9.11 + Clomid + Trigger Shot = TWINS! 
    Walter Allen and Eleanor Joan 1.15.12
    Another baby on the way! 8.25.14

• EM0704EM0704 member
    Thanks Ladies, I knew she would ask us a ton of questions the first time, I guess I just thought they would be different....I'm anxious to see what next week holds!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"