D.C. Area Babies

For those who live in either Burke or Manasses (or nearby)

We are seriously considering becoming SFHowners, but can't find what we want for the price we can afford in Falls Church, Vienna or Reston (my preferred locations--we are currently in the Dunn Loring/Merrifield area in a condo that we own), and we have found some options in Manassas and Burke.  Currently we both work in DC, but I have a potential job offer which would allow me to work from home, so we're thinking that either of these places would work if only one of us is commuting...for those who live in either of these areas, what do you like?  Do you commute into DC and take VRE?  What are things to be aware of?

TIA!

Re: For those who live in either Burke or Manasses (or nearby)

• It greatly depends on what area of Manassas you are talking about. But I would still lean toward Burke. I feel like Manassas just keeps going downhill. I take 66 to work and it depends what time you go, but the Manassas exit is usually backed up in the morning. If we only lived in Centreville the commute would be so much easier!! Is Centreville an option? I would choose that over Manassas in a heartbeat. Just to be one exit up on 66 would be glorious. 

VRE is ok, it just seems to have delays a lot, and they can range from half an hour to three hours. For me, I would rather drive to Vienna and take the metro to DC, since I have a bit more control (although traffic can be a pain - leave by 6am). It'll take an hour and a half to get in from Manassas leaving before 6, taking 66 to Vienna. VRE takes an hour IF it's on time. VRE is nice enough and easy, I just can't get stuck on a train and be two hours late in either direction. The F'burg line is worse, but it does happen on the Manassas line. 

All that said, you will get better houses and neighborhoods in Gainesville and Bristow, but the commute will be worse - at that point you have to leave super early or take VRE and chance delays.  

• dkw1485dkw1485 member
    I live in Centreville and I'd definitely recommend that over Manassas.  Traffic on 66 can still be a bear, but if you leave early enough it's not bad.  There are also metro buses that go around many of the Centreville neighborhoods that will take you to the Vienna metro.  Try looking in the 20120 zip code...that's where I live and I like it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We looked at the same areas you did and ended up buying in Herndon.  One big thing to consider is schools.  Burke is Fairfax Co. and generally has better schools then Prince William Co.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just a few thoughts...We live in Centreville, and are actually in the process of putting our townhouse on the market. DH works in Fairfax, I teach in the Lake Ridge area of PW County. So right now neither of us is close to work, I have a 35 minute drive each way with DS. DH hates his commute right now, but he doesn't leave until about 7. When he left closer to 6 it was SO much better. 

We're actually probably moving to Lake Ridge, for a few reasons. I love the area - is all of PWC perfect? No. But as a teacher I can tell you there are a TON of schools that are just as fabulous as FFX co. schools, I teach at one that is phenomenal.  My parents live there, which is a big deal for us, they help us a ton. I want DS to go to school where I teach, so we need to live in county. I'd consider the Bristow/Gainesville area, if it wasn't for the distance from my parents. 

Wherever you go, check out the specific school, not just the county, as well as those nearby, in case of boundary changes!

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I am in Bristow and too taught in the area before bcoming a SAH mom.  The schools in most of PWC are just as good as ffx...not necessarly manassas specifically though.  I would not come out this far though and commute to DC.  SChools aside, I would not wish that commute on anyone!!!
  • imagemommmyz:

Just a few thoughts...We live in Centreville, and are actually in the process of putting our townhouse on the market. DH works in Fairfax, I teach in the Lake Ridge area of PW County. So right now neither of us is close to work, I have a 35 minute drive each way with DS. DH hates his commute right now, but he doesn't leave until about 7. When he left closer to 6 it was SO much better. 

We're actually probably moving to Lake Ridge, for a few reasons. I love the area - is all of PWC perfect? No. But as a teacher I can tell you there are a TON of schools that are just as fabulous as FFX co. schools, I teach at one that is phenomenal.  My parents live there, which is a big deal for us, they help us a ton. I want DS to go to school where I teach, so we need to live in county. I'd consider the Bristow/Gainesville area, if it wasn't for the distance from my parents. 

Wherever you go, check out the specific school, not just the county, as well as those nearby, in case of boundary changes!

I grew up in lakeridge:-) Do mind telling me what school you teach at?  if you want to PM it thats fine too. I went to lake ridge elementary and lived off of hedges run drive until from toddlerhood to middle school, we moved before 6th grade in 1992 

• I grew up in Burke (near Lake Braddock SS) and my parents still live there. I loved it... and if DH and I hadn't had to commute to DC we probably would have considered that area when we bought but having to both cross the river commuting was not appealing. We also go in to DC quite a bit for shows and such so that is something to consider. If you spend most of your time in suburbia, it may not be an issue for you.

I'm not sure what school district you're looking at in Manassas but Fairfax Co. schools are very good. Most of Burke would go to LBSS or Robinson for high school, a few areas might hit Woodson or West Springfield. All are great schools.

During one of the last snowstorms, we stayed with my parents while we were without power. DH took the VRE from Burke to his job on the Hill. He loved it, but it was pricey compared to his regular fare on Metro. I'm not sure how parking is (when it fills up, if it's free, etc.) or how often the trains are delayed due to track/weather issues.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"