Postpartum Depression

Lexapro and BFing?

My doctor gave me a Rx of Lexapro to help treat my PPD. He knows I am breastfeeding, but said to double check with my pedi to be sure it is safe. I happened to be at the pedi's office already when he called, so I asked her; she went to check her medical information and came back with this response: "According to information, it is a possibility that small amounts may get into your breastmilk; however, all information says that getting you well outweighs all risks to the baby, as more severe issues can arise if PPD is untreated." She told me what warning signs to look for in him (sudden changes in his daily habits, infrequent feeding, sleeping more often, etc.) and if I noticed them to contact both her and my OB.

My question is, has anyone taken this and successfully continued BFing? I'd like to continue at least 2 more months until I return to work. I got the Rx filled, but suddenly I'm having a lot of anxiety about taking the medicine, and questioning if I'm even bad off enough for medicine! (My irritability is at it's highest right now; I'm snapping at my H and my toddler for little things, and DS's fussing is on my last nerve; then I cry with guilt for feeling angry/mad/aggravated, so I know something's not right with me!)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Lexapro and BFing?

• It is a totally personal decision, but I took Lexapro and am so happy I did it. I continued breastfeeding for 14 months. My son never had any issues related to my medication. I was very concerned as well. My son was a preemie and only 4lbs 10oz when I started the medication so I was really afraid with his small size. My OB, the pedi, and my psychiatrist all felt confident that it was OK. It was like night and day with my PPD and anxiety. Best decision I made. Good luck!
    PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
  • I have taken Lexapro for years and took it throughout my pregnancy and am taking now while nusing.  Like your pedi, my pedi indicated that the benefits far outweight the risks.  In my research, I found that the few reported side effects were the baby experiencing weight loss and/or excessive sleepiness, so those are relatively easy to watch out for.  My kiddo has not had any prblems.  Good luck to you -- lexapro has really helped me and you need to do what you need to do to feel better!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was on Zoloft but my anxiety has been crazy since I have come home with the baby. I can only sleep at night with an Ambien and my husband feeds the baby. Every day I ask myself how am I going to get through this. My baby will be 3 weeks old on Friday..... Anyone else out there with the same problems???

• My psychiatrist said that I shouldn't breastfeed with Lexapro, so I didn't.  Breastfeeding was an EPIC fail anyway, so I was going to stop regardless.  My mom did a ton of research and she said it was safe.  So this time around I'm planning on doing a bunch of research myself, but am leaning towards breastfeeding with the Lexapro.  
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"