June 2011 Moms

Do menstrual-like cramping mean anything?

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been feeling menstrual-like cramping.  Not bad, like the ones you start getting at the very first few days before you get your period.  Do they mean anything?  Just wondering.  Thanks.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do menstrual-like cramping mean anything?

• I have just started this same thing this morning. Sorry I'm no help. I was wondering the same thing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • tesarytesary member
    For me they have meant nothing. My doctor said it was just my body practicing. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been having them too. Secretly, I hoped that it meant I was dilating a little.. but that's not true.. In three weeks of having these every day there's not much action going on there lol. I am a fingertip dilated.
  • My doc said it's just your body getting ready for labor.  That was 3 or 4 weeks ago so for me it doesn't mean anything imminent.

• My doc said those are contractions but I've seen other girls' posts that say it's just getting their bodies ready for labor....but Idk what that means?  
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I asked my OB about it, and she said it was just my body gearing up for labor. She said it was a good thing but didn't indicate the cramping was contractions or a sign of anything happening soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• jsongjsong member

imageJayElleJayCee:
    I have been having them too. Secretly, I hoped that it meant I was dilating a little.. but that's not true.. In three weeks of having these every day there's not much action going on there lol. I am a fingertip dilated.

oh darn!  i was secretly hoping too (not too early though).

• I've had a little bit since my internal yesterday, but I just attribute it to that.

My best friend's contractions with her 2nd baby did feel like menstrual cramps though - on her due date I asked her about progress and she just said "no real contractions, just lots of heavy menstrual cramps and BH". She went to the hospital that night and was already dilated to a 6, and they put her on a monitor and said that those "cramps" were contractions!

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageLexGator:
    I asked my OB about it, and she said it was just my body gearing up for labor. She said it was a good thing but didn't indicate the cramping was contractions or a sign of anything happening soon.

this 

• imageLexGator:
    I asked my OB about it, and she said it was just my body gearing up for labor. She said it was a good thing but didn't indicate the cramping was contractions or a sign of anything happening soon.

i've read this so many times, but does anyone know what it actually means?  what is the body doing to get ready for labor? 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You should read my birth story below (titled Macy's fast and furious...").  My contractions were menstrual cramps that I thought were nothing.  My daughter was born just a couple hours after they started.  Just sayin' Wink
  • I've been having them a bit stronger over the past 3 days.  I had a BPP yesterday and my NP said I was having a few contractions.  That really doesn't mean anything as some women go weeks of having contractions and no "action".

Anniversary

• I was told at an appointemnt they are contractions, but if they are not consistent then it doesn't mean anything s happening, just preparation. I have had them off and on for a few weeks, still no dilation.
  • imageMrsPrevost:
    I was told at an appointemnt they are contractions, but if they are not consistent then it doesn't mean anything s happening, just preparation. I have had them off and on for a few weeks, still no dilation.

This is what my Dr. said as well on Monday. I was 1 cm dialated and 50% effaced but she said I could hang out like this for a while. I have been having them all week (accompanied by loose BMs...yuck!) I have also been having crazy lightening crotch for a few days too. I hope it's just practice cuz he needs to bake a while longer!

• imageSarahP15:

imageLexGator:

i've read this so many times, but does anyone know what it actually means?  what is the body doing to get ready for labor? 

It is your body practicing contractions to get ready for the real thing. Think Braxton Hicks contractions. Its just your uterus and abdominal muscles way of training for the marathon of birth in which your contraction will become much stronger and less like period cramps and more like vice grips on your utuerus. Does that help explain it? Also gearing up means, with all those practice contractions going on, your cervix is also likely softening and begining to dilate as the weeks go on.

• jgengo0jgengo0 member
    I had been having menstrual-like cramps ( some were pretty painful)  for about two weeks before my water broke
    Lost Lilah (Audra's twin) at 26 weeks. Cause unknown. Forever in our hearts
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"